[CMC] Announcement of New NASA CMC Rep--Mr. Sami Asmar

Townes, Stephen A (US 9000) stephen.a.townes at jpl.nasa.gov
Wed Oct 28 22:26:40 UTC 2020

CMC Members,

As I have previously announced, I will be retiring from NASA/JPL on January 4, 2021.

I am pleased to announce that NASA has appointed Mr. Sami Asmar of NASA/JPL to replace me as the NASA CMC representative.

Sami Asmar is the Manager of Strategic Partnerships and Customer Formulation in the Interplanetary Network Directorate at NASA's Jet Propulsion Laboratory (JPL), California Institute of Technology, and has extensive experience with NASA’s international and commercial partners. During his distinguished career as a Radio Scientist, he was the manager of JPL’s Radio Science Systems Group, Project Scientist for the GRAIL lunar gravity mission, and a co-investigator or instrument manager on several US and European deep space missions - - currently the Radio Science Co-PI for the BepiColombo mission. He has a BS in physics from Occidental College and MS in Geophysics and Space Physics from UCLA. He is the recipient of 3 NASA Exceptional Achievement Medals for technological and scientific breakthroughs and a SpaceOps Exceptional Achievement Medal for innovative deep space communications techniques. He has been leading JPL research initiatives in radio and laser link utilization for planetary exploration and invented the “carry your own relay” concept and the Mars Cube One (MarCO), the first solar system CubeSat mission (NASA Inventions Board NPO-49544), and was its formulation Principal Investigator.

I will continue to participate as Sami transitions into the job.

Welcome Sami!!

-steve-

Stephen A. Townes, PhD

Chief Technologist, Interplanetary Network Directorate

NASA/Jet Propulsion Laboratory

California Institute of Technology

mobile: +1 818-731-4614

desk: +1 818-354-7525