[CMC] DAI WG Response to CMC-R-2016-10-03

Juan.Miro at esa.int Juan.Miro at esa.int
Mon May 22 10:38:57 UTC 2017

Dear CMC members,

I have read the DAI WG Report and I consider it adequately answers the
questions that we as CMC posed on them. Remember that CMC's  motivation
for requesting the DAI WG report was twofold: i) to answer to their
request for support addressed to CMC, we wanted to better understand the
present work and future plans in order to be able to confirm such support
ii)  to confirm that CCSDS is playing the relevant role expected from it
in the ongoing unprecedented data revolution that is starting to drive the
exploitation of space.

In my view the report is very convincing on both aspects. I have learnt
that the WG has made great achievements in the past, in particular by
issuing the CCSDS Open Archive Information Systems (OAIS) standard that is
being used worldwide not only for space (it is being used in ESA for our
Earth Observation data archive) but also non-space. I would be interested
in knowing if your Agencies are also using the OIS standard.

The report is proposing a CMC Resolution and an Action on CMC (see below)
and I would like to make sure we can come to a good decision at the
upcoming CMC meeting; I therefore would appreciate if you could read the
report and share with your CMC colleagues your first impressions before
the meeting.  I would also like to move this point on the agenda to13th or
14th June (since I will not e participating on 16th June).

Regarding funding for the WG,  ESA is looking for ways to support this WG
in view of its relevance for long term data preservation ad digital agenda
aspects. I hope you can make up your mind on this point of resources also
so that we can communicate the outcome of our decision to the WG.

Looking forward to seeing you in St Petersburg

Regards
Juan
ESA CMC rep

__________________ Extract of DAI WG Report to
CMC____________________________________

Proposed CMC Resolutions:
(1) The CMC recognizes the notional architecture as proposed by the DAI WG
as a good basis for planning their future work in the digital archive
arena.
(2) The CMC recognizes that for the work of the Digital Archive Ingest
Working Group, it is important for the ISO participation to be encouraged
during the CCSDS Agency Review phase, in order to avoid extensive delays
and rework in later ISO review phases. The CMC also recognizes that it is
critically important to support this work for the Digital Preservation
community much broader than the nominal participation of the CCSDS space
agencies. The CMC therefore resolves to express support for the inclusion
of the ISO community, and resolves to commit to an inclusive and
transparent review process for the future DAI WG projects in standards for
Digital Preservation.
Action to the CMC delegates: (Unless their agency is already participating
in the DAI WG) Please provide to the DAI WG the names and email addresses
of:
1. Personnel in your space agency that are working in digital preservation
or archives.
2. Personnel in your nation’s archives or library organizations that have
responsibilities for digital preservation.

The DAI WG will contact them to ensure they are aware of CCSDS standards
for digital preservation, and for them to consider participating in the
DAI WG telecons, or to simply to suggest coordination when DAI WG
personnel are visiting in the area (Such as ASI attendance at the last
CCSDS meeting in Rome).