[CMC] RE: ISO Affiliation with CCSDS

Soula Jean-Marc Jean-Marc.Soula at cnes.fr
Thu Dec 3 15:51:41 UTC 2015

Bonjour James,

This is an important question and it is a bit surprising that it comes two weeks after a CMC / SC13 meeting where we could have had a better explanation on the rationale and the implications, in particular the cost.

Under the short notice, here are some preliminary thoughts from CNES: Our projects mainly refer the CCSDS documents and not their ISO counterparts. In that respect our interest is limited and there is little chance that CNES would contribute, in particular as the costs involved and the status of the discussions with ISO are not exposed.

However, there are good questions and remarks from the CESG and the other Agencies that should be discussed, if time still allows, as the implications are unclear and exchanges of views might be more efficient. Also the original motivations could be reviewed to check if they are still valid or what has changed. The situation in each Agency may be different if we talk recommendations only or international standards. The potential duplication of activities in SC14 or other standard bodies is to be assessed. The level of risks if we decide to sever the relationship and their mitigation options should then be discussed.

Best regards

Jean-Marc Soula
CNES - DCT/OP/C-STA
Advisor, GN Operations