[CMC] Re: Actions placed by CMC on SEA, Spring 2015 Meeting

Shames, Peter M (312B) peter.m.shames at jpl.nasa.gov
Tue Apr 14 17:56:17 UTC 2015

Dear CMC,

The following action was placed on the CCSDS System Engineering Area (SEA) for the Spring Meeting:

CMC-A-2014-11-01        Peter Shames was requested to draft a formal memorandum from CCSDS to ISO/TC 20/SC14 (Space Systems and Operations) to describe the coordination needed on RASDS. Ensure that SC13 is referenced in the draft memorandum.

Action: Peter Shames
Due Date: Spring 2015 CMC Meeting

The status pf this action is that it is still open, but there has been movement toward this goal.  On 2 March 2015 the TC 20 / SC 14 Head's of Delegation met via telecon.  The attached materials were presented and reviewed by the CCSDS SEA AD during a 1.5 hour meeting.  The materials were the outcome of some joint effort between the SEA AD and the TC 20 / SC 14 convener, Fred Slane.  They were well received by the HoD.

The most important outcome is that the RASDS conceptual framework, and the extensions that have been discussed, are understood to provide a framework for describing both the CCSDS / SC 13 standards work and the SC 14 standards work.  The desired outcome is this

–Reach agreement within SC 13, and with SC 14, for use and extension of the core [of RASDS]

There is now enough motvation for discussion about how to reach this goal.  The TC 20 / SC 14 process is to further discuss this topic at their Plenary in June.  Depending upon the outcome of that discussion there may be agreement on how to move forward, but no further formal action can take place until that discussion concludes.

Meanwhile, with the help of Eduardo Begramini, the SC 14 / SC 14 liaison, and Nick Tongson we have been reachinhg out to other ISO WG and SC to determine just what ontology or architecture efforts there are that are active and might contrinute to this.

Regards, Peter Shames

Peter Shames
CCSDS System Engineering Area Director

Jet Propulsion Laboratory, MS 301-490
California Institute of Technology
Pasadena, CA 91109 USA

Telephone: +1 818 354-5740,  Fax: +1 818 393-6871

Internet:  Peter.M.Shames at jpl.nasa.gov

We must recognize the strong and undeniable influence that our language exerts on our ways of thinking and, in fact, delimits the abstract space in which we can formulate - give form to - our thoughts.

Niklaus Wirth