[CMC E-Poll Alert] Re: Action Required - CMC Review of Proposed Change to the CCSDS Charter

Adrian J. Hooke adrian.j.hooke at jpl.nasa.gov
Mon Aug 23 11:31:27 EDT 2004

06:38 AM 8/23/2004, Eduardo Bergamini wrote:
>... and, also, includes further suggestions, which are written in red
>lettering and expressed in the same file, as attached.

Eduardo: I disagree with your suggested additions for the following reasons:

1. The term "information technology" has a pretty standard definition which
already covers the split between applications and data communications,
e.g., try Googling "definition information technology" and you will get
multiple returns like--
information technology (IT): The branch of technology devoted to (a) the
study and application of data and the processing thereof; i.e., the
automatic acquisition, storage, manipulation (including transformation),
management, movement, control, display, switching, interchange,
transmission or reception of data, and (b) the development and use of the
hardware, software, firmware, and procedures associated with this processing.

2. Similarly, if you Google "definition interoperability" you get back
things like:
The ability of information systems to operate in conjunction with each
other encompassing communication protocols, hardware software, application,
and data compatibility layers.

3. Conversely, the term "cross-support" is space jargon and nobody
understands it. Try Googling "definition cross-support" and you mostly get
CCSDS pages, except for
http://www.frontier.iarc.uaf.edu:8080/~cswingle/woodworking/sewing_steps.phtml
where a bearded guy is making some wooden steps for his mother.

So I would argue that making those additions in fact makes the CCSDS
charter less clear, not more. I'd strongly recommend that the CMC should
simply focus on deleting those four words "for exclusively peaceful
purposes" and should not take this as an opportunity to open up the whole
charter for revision.

Best regards
Adrian