[Secretariat] [CMC] Request to support a BOF at the next CCSDS Technical Workshop (San Antonio, USA 28th Oct - 31st Oct 2013)

Soula Jean-Marc Jean-Marc.Soula at cnes.fr
Fri Jul 19 09:24:19 EDT 2013

Bonjour

I am a bit surprised how this action that was discussed at the last CMC could translate into the creation of a BOF/WG independent of the CSTS WG, while I would have assumed that this is addressed within the CSTS WG, i.e. where is the knowledge of the CSTS Framework. Does it mean that it is anticipated that the FW will not be used ?

Could you please provide the rationale why this is proposed this way ?

I would also be interested in some explanations on why the CSTS WG did never recharter on the priorities provided by the CMC or the IOAG. My confusion comes from several facts :

- from almost the beginning of the CSTS, close to ten years ago, the IOAG has contiuously passed the same messages on priorities, thru liaison statements or now ICPA and this priority has never been recognized by the WG, resulting in the approach proposed now that still doesn't question the CSTS WG charter ;

- at the F11 meeting in Moscow, the CMC had been inquired on the resources that could be allocated to the CSTS and CS-SM WGs. To some extent, the current approach is just a repeat of this 2011 initiative, limited to two services that had already been polled. Results were presented at the S12 meeting. This confirmed limited resources but also highlighted the CCSDS priorities, lead at that time by the "File Transfer" (highest number of m*m in the list of the chartered and not chartered activities), this of course, beyond the need to terminate the already well advanced FW and the MD. I wonder why the result of this poll was never used to assign new priorities to the CSTS WG: most of the chartered projects collected a zero in terms of contribution intents. I also wonder why there is still a discussion on the difference in priorities between IOAG and CCSDS as, based on this poll, they are very close.

- in parallel to the above, the FW has been delayed by  about three years for some adaptations to implement Forward Synchronous Services which are not in the CSTS charter nor in any known priority : the F11 poll on resources had shown very low intent of contribution on this. But the cost of this counts in years and no BOF was created then to evaluate if this was urgent or not, a priority or not, etc...

Thank you for your clarifications.

Best regards

Jean-Marc Soula
CNES - DCT/OP/C-STA