[CMC] RE: Proposed resolutins for CCSDS Patent Policy

Juan.Miro at esa.int Juan.Miro at esa.int
Mon Feb 21 02:40:04 EST 2011

Dear all,

I agree with the general action, but again we should agree in detail how far
are we ready to go in obtaining assurances from the licensors. signing the
form should be done, as an obligation, but we we should identify what is the
"more specific information from the patent hold" that we want to request and
what we do if we do not get it, before we vote on the poll.

Regards
Juan

|------------>
| From:      |
|------------>
  |"Kearney, Mike W. (MSFC-EO01)" <mike.kearney at nasa.gov>                                                                                                |
  >------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------|
|------------>
| To:        |
|------------>
  |CCSDS Management Council <cmc at mailman.ccsds.org>                                                                                                      |
  >------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------|
|------------>
| Date:      |
|------------>
  >------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------|
  |17/02/2011 19:08                                                                                                                                      |
  >------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------|
|------------>
| Subject:   |
|------------>
  >------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------|
  |[CMC] RE: Proposed resolutins for CCSDS Patent Policy                                                                                                 |
  >------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------|
|------------>
| Sent by:   |
|------------>
  |cmc-bounces at mailman.ccsds.org                                                                                                                         |
  >------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------|

In subsequent discussions, our CNES delegate, Jean-Marc, pointed out that
while the minutes of our telecon reflected that we agreed that the patent
policy (once approved) would become immediately applied to the ongoing
efforts including LDPC and SCCC, the proposed action items that I described
below did not actually address LDPC and SCCC.  So with Jean-Marc’s
recommendation, I propose the addition of a sixth item to the CESG action
list below:

  (6) These new policies shall be immediately applied to documents currently
  in work.  In particular, the LDPC and SCCC documents in the SLS area have a
  requirement to have the ISO declaration signed by the patent holder, and a
  goal to get more specific information from the patent holder to allow CCSDS
  to evaluate the "Reasonable and Non-Discriminatory" status of the patent
  licensing policy.

After voting is complete on the CMC poll for the resolutions listed below, if
the outcome is “adopt”, then we would subsequently send the actions below to
the Secretariat and CESG.

So far, I have received no other comments on the proposed resolutions, and
only one comment on the minutes.  If you have any comments or concerns about
the proposed CMC resolutions, please let us know.  If we receive no other
inputs, we will set up the CMC poll on Sunday, Feb 20, with a closing date of
the usual two weeks, Sunday, March 6.

Best regards,

   -=- Mike

Mike Kearney
CCSDS Chairman and General Secretary
www.ccsds.org
(Embedded image moved to file: pic03782.jpg)cid:3303993661_5210558
Mail Code EO-01
NASA Marshall Space Flight Center
Huntsville, Alabama  35803, USA
+1-256-544-2029