[CMC] RE: [CESG] SM&C Overlap materials

Stuart Fowell Stuart.Fowell at scisys.co.uk
Thu Jun 10 11:39:34 EDT 2010

Some factual errors:

Slide 5:

1. SOIS Application Support WG is specifying File Services, not the SOIS Subnetwork WG
2. SOIS Subnetwork WG has defined a Synchronisation Service, encompassing a Time Distribution function, not a "Time service". This is limited to a single on-board subnetwork. SOIS Application Support WG is in the process of publishing a Time Access Service, that provides access to an onboard time source. It is not specified if and how this is correlated/synchronised within the spacecraft (e.g. using the Subnetwork Synchronisation Service) or between spacecraft and ground.

Slide 9:
SOIS MTS is merely a profile of AMS together with a recommended mapping onto SOIS Subnetwork Packet Service, not distinct from AMS as indicated in slide 9.

Slides 10 & 11 are unreadable - large black boxes?

Slide 11:
I've no idea what "Given SOIS changes, are there other overlaps since this 2004 MoU?" means. What SOIS changes?

In general:
All SOIS services are onboard only, as per charter and explicit in the name! An onboard implementation of SM&C services is treated as a SOIS application and can make use of any SOIS service. This goes for CFDP, DTN etc.

Please talk to SOIS...

Stuart D. Fowell BEng MBCS
Distributed, Real-Time Embedded (DRE) Consultant
SciSys UK Ltd
Clothier Road
Bristol
BS4 5SS
UK

Tel: +44 (0)117 916 5165
Mob: +44 (0)7715 750 255
Fax: +44 (0)117 916 5299
Email: stuart.fowell at scisys.co.uk
Website: www.scisys.co.uk

This message is private and confidential. If you have received this message in error, please notify us and remove it from your system.  If you are not the intended recipient, please do not read, copy, use or disclose this communication to others.  E-mail transmission cannot be guaranteed to be secure or error-free as information could be intercepted, corrupted, lost, destroyed, arrive late or incomplete, or contain viruses. SciSys UK Limited therefore does not accept liability for any errors or omissions in the contents of this message, which arise as a result of e-mail transmission.  Whilst SciSys UK Limited  take reasonable precautions to minimise risk, you must carry out your own virus checks before opening attachments or reading e-mails and SciSys UK Ltd does not accept liability for any damage or loss in this respect.  Contracts cannot be concluded with SciSys UK Limited by email.