[CMC] On your pondering.

Eduardo W. Bergamini e.w.bergamini at uol.com.br
Thu Nov 27 13:43:18 EST 2008

Adrian,

I wish to express my agreement with your pondering. It is in the line of what
I understand to be what was derived from the CMC and IOAG joint meeting,
back in 2004 (?), held in CNES.

The well established procedure of CCSDS in mustering and driving sufficient
effort among its members for the development of a consensus approved
Recommendation can be (to say the least) minimized, otherwise. Clearly,
with special emphasis for those agencies who are not IOAG members, as
well.

I can hardly imagine two categories (or classes ...) of CCSDS membership
"represented" by a nominal, single category one. For sure, without
tergiversations, I understand that this possibility would not not be under
consideration. It would be a complete contradiction in respect to all the
truly multilateral motivations that led to the criation and maintenance of
CCSDS, as we know it, so far.

Unless, a natural concensus may be reached among members that CCSDS
may have to be disbandedor discontinued. I remember hearing this type of
phrasing in the past, in some of the CMC meetings. It is true that this
possibility has, by principle, to be honestly accepted as an everlasting one,
although not desired by all of us, CCSDS members. I do believe.

With all the different challenges that have been always faced, CCSDS has
been doing its "homework" quite well. More than that. I understand that
CCSDS has naturally justified or, at least inspired, the creation of other
interoperability and cross-support motivated organizations, as we can clearly
see at the moment, as they gradually come into the scene. In principle, a
natural very healthy and desirable result. I also understand that, in principle
they all have capability to learn on how to co-exist and add-value to each
other for the joint benefit of them all and, above all of the major communities
which, in one way or another, they represent and are responsible for, by
consequence.

We all have to take care for not killing the "golden-egg-laying-chicken" we
have been presented with, as a result of such a long, hard work... Much,
very much lay ahead of us, with plenty and more than plenty, enough for
saturating commitments from all the interoperability/cross-suportability
motivated, already existing community. Competence and value addition has
to be a permanent and fundamental moto, in the context.

Regards,
Eduardo
INPE HoD
to CCSDS