[CMC] A pondering.

Eduardo W. Bergamini e.w.bergamini at uol.com.br
Mon Nov 17 22:09:59 EST 2008

Dear Mike,

I am naturally following the long series of correspondence on the CCSDS
related preparation of a presentation for the coming IOP-2 event. It made
me recall a series of events that led to the current situation we can observe.

For instance, it is vivid in my memory the many discussions we had during
and after that first "joint" CCSDS/CMC-IOAG meeting that was held in CNES
a few years ago, in that same room (Poincaré building) where the SpaceOps
series of meetings were held, in Toulouse, last month. That "joint"
CCSDS/CMC-IOAG meeting, as I still understand it, continues to be an
important one because it paved the way for a common, although evolving,
understanding and for a joint action between the two entities. Which I could
consistently observe, in recent years, under a healthy initiative, from my
(limited, because INPE is not an IOAG member, so far) point of view.

However, reading the recent correspondence which I mentioned in the first
paragraph, I must admit that some of the principles that have been guiding
our CMC interaction, fundamented by those initial CMC resolutions, seem to
be somewhat faded in our current context. I feel that it is probably time for
the CMC bring the theme back up to discussion in its coming meeting for a
review and for an update of the CMC consensus which was reached in the
beginning, in respect to the CCSDS relationship to IOAG. I mention it not only
for the sake of consistency with our memory but also due to an evident need
we have to rediscuss the subject, possibly, on grounds of probable new
approachs that may be simply required for consideration, in view of the natural
sequence of events. It is, for instance, very firm in my memory that, at no
moment so far, there was a consensus in CCSDS CMC on a formal hierarchy
between CCSDS and IOAG. At the same time, it is also clear to me, since the
beginning, that the relationship between CCSDS and IOAG has been a most
fortunate evolution in the process of those concerned, in the many levels of
the pertinent authority of the community, with the very basic paradigm of
interoperability. Not to mention, cross-support. We all know that affordable
cross-support can be hardly attained, if any, to the extent it is not preceeded
by interoperable resources, independently of policies, personal preferences
and influences. Not to mention politics, by itself.

If CCSDS access to IOP-2 is being materialized under support by IOAG
community, in principle, this is not contradictory, as a result from the good
willing that we certainly observe among some of our colleagues which are part
of both communities. I would dream, why not ? Of CCSDS joining, as viable,
efforts in concert with IOAG and IOP for the benefit of worldwide interoperability
and cross-support. Who can pay for less than that ? I am sure that there are
ways, be it, long or not so long, to get to this type of association. However,
at the same time, under the actual terms that CCSDS is governed by, since its
creation, in principle, I would not see any impedement that may preclude CCSDS
from reaching the IOP community, even if this may result from a formal request
to that forum. To the best of my acquaintance, I would understand that the
sovereignity of CCSDS, inclusive in this respect, is being preserved to this point
in time, under the existing terms based on its original constitution. It is very vivid
in my mind the principle of equal opportunity to its members that motivated the
creation of CCSDS since its very beginning. We did come a long way, under this
very principle, with outstanding realizations of the CCSDS community, I do believe,
with only minor disturbances. Let us hope that it will be kept this way. This does
not mean, at all, that updates to the CCSDS process are not required. Constantly.
I understand that this has been faced as part of a must of the CCSDS business,
in a best possible way.

Thank you for your attention to my pondering, on the above subject.

With my best regards,
Eduardo
INPE/CCSDS