[CMC] Re: Repository Audit and Certification Working Group

Adrian J. Hooke adrian.j.hooke at jpl.nasa.gov
Mon Apr 21 08:59:04 EDT 2008

At 06:51 AM 4/21/2008, Nestor.Peccia at esa.int wrote:
>Dear David,
>I suggest that you prepare a consolidated output addressing all the raised
>comments and concerns (e.g. conceptual paper, Charter update, resources,
>schedule). I will then send it to the CMC

Nestor: the critical question that you seem to
have avoided is: "why is this work appropriate to
be performed by CCSDS?" All new work should be
related to the CCSDS Charter, which is quite
heavily driven by interoperability concerns:
http://public.ccsds.org/about/charter.aspx

While it was quite natural that early work in the
standardization of digital repositories
(archives) should have been undertaken by the
space agencies - who faced the digital archiving
problem long before many other communities - it
is not clear that the world has not moved on to
the point where another standardization forum might be more appropriate.

Take as an example the Delay Tolerant Networking
Research Group in the Internet Research Task
Force (IRTF) - where a technology that originated
from the space sector is now being developed by a much wider community:
http://www.dtnrg.org

In the case of DTN, we are quite happy to let the
broader community hammer away at the technology
and the standards. While we have the goal of
eventually creating a "space profile" of DTN back
in CCSDS (which is interoperable with the larger
community), in the meantime we are not consuming
scarce CCSDS resources. Why isn't this model now
appropriate for digital data archiving? In short,
why does CCSDS continue to carry the load for a
community that is well able to shoulder its own burden?

This is quite a serious matter. We now have 23
active Working Groups and 9 BOFs. Each new
Working Group slices the resources pie even
thinner and creates an additional load on the
Secretariat and meeting hosting. We need to be
quite sure, before forming new groups, that CCSDS
is the only forum in which the work can progress.

Best regards
Adrian

Adrian J. Hooke
Chairman, CCSDS Engineering Steering Group (CESG)
NASA Headquarters
Space Communications and Navigation Office, 7L70
Space Operations Mission Directorate