[CMC] International Space Exploration Coordination Group Annual Report

Adrian J. Hooke adrian.j.hooke at jpl.nasa.gov
Fri Apr 11 11:17:02 EDT 2008

For your information, please see the attached report.

On a related issue, the second Inter-Operability Plenary meeting
(IOP-2) will be convened in Geneva on 08-09 December, 2008. This will
be an "invitation-only" gathering, attended by very high level Agency
management. You may remember that IOP-1 was held in June 1999 and
resulted in the creation of the IOAG:
http://www.ioag.org/org_relations.html

IOP-2 presents an opportunity to "set the directions" for space
mission interoperability for the coming decade. Already, we expect to
be recommending - via the IOAG's "Space Internetworking Strategy
Group" (SISG) - that the Agencies should begin a planned evolution
towards providing cross support at the Network layer. It is also
likely that there will be a further recommendation for increased
spectrum coordination.

The CESG and CMC should start thinking about any other "big,
sweeping" recommendations for interoperability thrusts that we would
like to see come out of IOP-2 in December.  If there are, then we
should begin developing them and doing the advance staff-work to get
the proposals matured and presented to the IOAG-12 meeting in
September, where the technical agenda for IOP-2 will be formalized.
If we do the right advance work, the opportunity exists to get some
significant "Findings and Recommendations" approved by senior
leadership at IOP-2 that can significantly influence the future work
and priorities of CCSDS.

I will be adding this topic to the agenda of the upcoming CESG
meeting on 16-17 June in Tsukuba. We should also add it to the CMC
agenda. Meanwhile, if you have suggestions for suitable candidate
items for discussion at IOP-2, please "reply-all" to this message and
outline your thoughts.

Best regards
Adrian

Adrian J. Hooke
Chairman, CCSDS Engineering Steering Group (CESG) and
CCSDS Technical Liaison to the IOAG