[CMC] Re: [CESG] CCSDS report to IOAG-11

Peter Shames peter.shames at jpl.nasa.gov
Tue May 8 13:43:39 EDT 2007

Adrian,

There is not really much to say about the SGIA at this point, but I
will provide a summary of what is going on within NASA, ESA and JAXA
relative to this work.

Nestor, could you provide me with a high level summary of the ESA
space system architecture work?  You mentioned that you would be
doing this and I know there is an agenda item for IOAG.  All I would
like for this part is a summary of what is intended and some
understanding of how this is planned to integrate with the NASA,
JAXA, and SGIA follow on from the IOAG.

Takahiro, if you could provide a similar high level summary of the
JAXA intentions in this regard that would also be appreciated.
Similarly, if there is any planned or potential support from other
agencies, either within the IOAG in any follow-on CCSDS WG I would
appreciate the feedback.

My understanding of the iOAG effort is that what they are producing
is intended to define their concepts for a cross support architecture
and service catalog.  I understand that the intention is for them to
provide it back to CCSDS with a request for us to do any needed
standardization.  My assumption is that this will be done within a
resurrected SGIA WG, hopefully with some added resources in addition
to those that NASA has committed to supplying.

If anyone else has information on this that they wish to contribute
to the report please let me know.  I'll have a draft out by early
next week (14 May).

Thanks, Peter

On May 7, 2007, at 4:48 PM, Adrian J. Hooke wrote:

> We are coming up on the IOAG-11 meeting (mid June) and we need to
> report on CCSDS progress relative to the set of resolutions that
> were transmitted to the CMC as a result of IOAG-8 and IOAG-10:
>
> (Res 8.2.1) -- CCSDS STRATEGIC PLAN SUGGESTED MODIFICATIONS
> (Res 8.1.1) -- URGENT NEED FOR A SLE MANAGEMENT SERVICES
> RECOMMENDATION
> (Res 8.3.1) -- ADVICES FOR SIMPLIFICATION OF RF & MOD. RECOMMENDATIONS
> (Res 8.4.1) -- ADVICES ON CROSS-SUPPORT AREA WORKING GROUP CHARTER
> (Res 8.5.1) -- REQUEST FOR A FRAMEWORK FOR CROSS-SUPPORT SERVICE
> ARCHITECTURE
> (Res 8.6.1) -- REQUEST FOR A FRAMEWORK FOR A CROSS-SUPPORT SERVICES
> CATALOG
> (Res 8.7.1) -- REQUEST FOR A HIGH RATE COMMANDING RECOMMENDATION
> (Res 8.8.1) -- REQUEST FOR A DELTA DOR RECOMMENDATION
>
> I've attached my summary of the IOAG resolutions, as of IOAG-10.
> Nestor and I will go to the IOAG as CCSDS liaisons. Could I please
> ask the following ADs to draft a CCSDS status report, that Nestor
> and I will deliver at IOAG-11, in accordance with the information
> highlighted in the attachment for their Area?
>
> ----------------
> PETER SHAMES: please draft a SGIA status report that includes the
> recent and ongoing activities in JAXA, ESA and NASA - note that
> there are already three reports on this matter on the IOAG-11
> agenda, so please consult. (I will give this report at IOAG-11)
>
> NESTOR PECCIA: please consult the ADs and the CMC members and come
> up with a recommendation about when and how the Strategic Plan will
> be updated. (Nestor will give this report at IOAG-11)
>
> NESTOR PECCIA: please create the status report for Delta-DOR
> related activities. (Nestor will give this report at IOAG-11)
>
> ERIK BARKLEY: please draft a status report on the progress made
> with Service Management and the plans for the CSTS development. (I
> will give this report at IOAG-11)
>
> JEAN-LUC GERNER: please draft a status report for the two SLS items
> (simplification of 2.4.17A and HR uplink).(I will give this report
> at IOAG-11)
> -----------------
>
> Draft materials circulated to CESG by close of business on 17 May,
> please.
>
> Jean-Marc: please comment if you see that I have missed anything.
>

> Best regards
> Adrian
>

> <07May07-CCSDS-status-IOAG-10.doc>

Peter Shames
Manager - JPL Data Systems Standards Program
InterPlanetary Network Directorate
Jet Propulsion Laboratory, MS 301-265
California Institute of Technology
Pasadena, CA 91109 USA

Telephone: +1 818 354-5740,  Fax: +1 818 393-1333

Internet:  Peter.Shames at jpl.nasa.gov
"We shall not cease from exploration, and the end of all our exploring
will be to arrive at where we started, and know the place for the
first time"

                       T.S. Eliot