[CMC] OMG relationships (Re: 2007 January CMC Meeting Minutes)

Adrian J. Hooke adrian.j.hooke at jpl.nasa.gov
Thu Mar 22 11:31:03 EST 2007

At 05:52 AM 3/22/2007, Soula Jean-Marc wrote:
>it doesn't seem that we have a big overlap with OMG. Except the XTCE, we
>feel that the conflicts are more at the level of the intents (i.e. OMG'
>RFI/RFP's) than with the actual work. A liaison that monitors these
>initiatives could be sufficient in our point of view ; the only
>improvement would be if we were aware of OMG initiatives in advance. They
>are aware of ours as they are on distribution list from the SM&C WG.

You will note that the OMG's lawyer, Jamie Nemiah, suggested that:
If you have suggestions for ways that OMG and CCSDS can work together
and/or define their separate "jurisdictions", we would be happy to prepare
a formal agreement embodying them
Given that we continue to be surprised when the Space Domain Task Force
randomly issues RFP's without even consulting us, it might be very useful
to obtain a written agreement between the CMC and OMG management that we
will pre-coordinate all proposed new work before formally announcing it.
That way, if the SDTF people continue to act independently, we can ask the
OMG to correct their behavior.

>By the way I had in my notes that the liaison was already by Mario Merri
>(ESA and chair of MOIMS/SM&C).

I thought that we had agreed on that too, but page 6 of the Draft CMC
January 2007 meeting minutes - as well as the CCSDS website - specifically
lists Greg Kazz as the CCSDS side of the OMG liaison.

Personally, I would be very happy to see Mario assume that role, and Greg
has indicated that he has no interest. If we did in fact agree to appoint
Mario, I would suggest that we instruct him to work with the OMG to draft
the pre-coordination agreement.

///adrian