[CMC] Invitation: 21 January - lunch in the Rockies

Adrian J. Hooke adrian.j.hooke at jpl.nasa.gov
Thu Jan 4 00:11:33 EST 2007

Dear CMC, CESG and Secretariat colleagues:

Although our weekend time is short in Colorado Springs, I would like to
invite you all to come up into the high Rocky Mountains on Sunday 21
January to visit the cabin that Merle and I recently built in Twin Lakes,
Colorado.

The drive from Colorado Springs is about 120-miles (200-Km) and it takes
about 2-1/4 hours. Along the way you will pass through some of the most
splendid alpine scenery in the world and in the final 25 miles you will run
parallel to a range of magnificent 14,000-foot mountains. The altitude of
our house is about 9700-feet (2900-meters) so take it easy when you get
there. And don't worry about driving the road twice - the trip back will
seem totally different.

I would suggest that you plan to form carpools (if you have 4-wheel drive
rental vehicles that's good) and that you should leave Colorado Springs
about 09:00 on Sunday, 21 January. I will plan on having some light lunch
stuff available when you arrive. You are welcome to relax in the house for
a couple of hours and to enjoy the views of the frozen lake and of the
glacial valley flanking the two highest mountains in Colorado. In order to
get back to Colorado Springs before dark, I would suggest that you plan to
leave about 14:30.

Normally the roads are dry and clear, but of course there is always the
chance of a big winter snowstorm that can mess things up. We will work
those problems if they occur.

Directions are attached - that's a picture of our house at the top. I hope
that you can make it - please confirm to me if you can.

Best regards
Adrian