[CMC] CCSDS relationship to the ECSS [RE: CMC-R-2006-01-00]

Soula Jean-Marc jean-marc.soula at cnes.fr
Wed Apr 12 04:07:29 EDT 2006

Dear Adrian,

I'm not sure that CCSDS, either at the CMC or the CESG level, have the authority to decide that the message received from the ECSS Executive Committee and from the officer officially in charge of the liaisons with other standardization bodies, is "void" or "not approved" and our action to review and comment is "nullified". Whatever we get from ECSS we will get it at the same interface level...

Obviously, the document that we have received is a working document on which the ECSS Executive expects review and comments so that the version agreed upon between CCSDS and ECSS is then submitted for final approval to the ECSS Steering Board and I guess the CMC.
The proposal we received at the CMC level is fully consistant with previous communications made by the European delegates at the CMC (Athens & Reston).
My understanding of the e-poll at the CMC level is that the CCSDS secretariat had selected this way to collect comments, if any, from the delegates. This was, in my opinion, the easiest way to make progress on it before our next meeting, although other methods were also possible. The comment made by BNSC makes sense as, obviously, the practical implementation will be at the level of the CESG and the feasibility should be analyzed at that level ; a complete analysis requires a feedback from the CESG after the "consensus" shown by the votes at CMC level.

Therefore, except if you got any official communication from ECSS that nullifies the previous one - and in this case, this should be communicated to all of the CMC members - , I would recommend that the question raised by BNSC to the CESG is processed and answered, so that on the CCSDS side, we prepare for the next steps of development of this interface with ECSS.

Another comment on an almost independent subject: your email below made me realize that I'm not sure of the definition of a "clean consensus" and I'm not aware of the official processing we have in CCSDS in case not all of the votes are showing "adopt". Should we consider that all such votes are stalled in CCSDS ? Who takes care of these situations ? Should we come back on all previous such cases, even if they were already considered approved ? Maybe a good agenda item for our upcoming meeting in Moscow.

Best regards

Jean-Marc SOULA
Chargé de Mission Réseaux de Stations
DCT/OP/CM