[CMC] Review of CCSDS documents with CCSDS and ISO

Adrian J. Hooke adrian.j.hooke at jpl.nasa.gov
Wed Sep 28 16:31:42 EDT 2005

At 06:03 AM 9/28/2005, Eduardo W. Bergamini wrote:
>A little further, in our pondering. CAST is already an Observer agency to
>CCSDS.

Peter's point is that since China does not have a *Member* agency then we
cannot hope to get any "formal agency reviews" from them during the CCSDS
development process. That leaves us exposed to a disruptive change if the
first time that China does a formal review is when the CCSDS document
arrives for their approval as an ISO standard.

I suggest that the CMC should:

1. First act upon Peter's proposed resolution by deciding if China is now a
sufficiently important space power that we feel that a formal Chinese
review is essential before we approve a CCSDS standard.

2. If we agree that this is necessary and that we need a Chinese Member in
CCSDS, then we should study in depth *which* Chinese agency should be
approached. Section 3 of the CCSDS Procedures Manual
http://public.ccsds.org/publications/archive/A00x0y9.pdf defines the
participation requirements. The section states that Agencies should submit
a *petition* to become a Member but it does not say that the CMC cannot
invite an Agency to submit such a petition.

/// Adrian