[CMC] Review of CCSDS documents with CCSDS and ISO

Allan, PM (Peter) P.M.Allan at rl.ac.uk
Tue Sep 27 05:42:52 EDT 2005

I just spent a while explaining to someone from EADS Astrium about how
the CCSDS standards development process works and how our recommended
standards flow into ISO. He is interested to learn how we do it and how
it might help ECSS. He asked what happens once we have conducted our own
reviews, published the blue book, sent it to ISO and we get a lot of
comments back from the ISO review. (This happens a lot in the analogous
ECSS process.) I told him that generally the ISO process does not
generate a lot of comments, or when we do expect it to (e.g. OAIS), then
we do the CCSDS review and ISO review in parallel.

He then raised the interesting question (which is why I am sending this
e-mail) of what we will do in the future as China plays a growing role
in space, presumably wanting to use space standards in the process,
given that they are not a member of CCSDS, but may well increasingly
comment through the ISO process. An obvious answer is to invite them to
become members of CCSDS. I am raising this now simply to try to head off
any problems that could be caused by a lot of comments through the ISO
review process. China has been a low key member of SC13 in the past, but
this may not continue in the future.

Peter
Dr. Peter M. Allan
Head, Space Data Division
Space Science and Technology Department
CCLRC/Rutherford Appleton Laboratory
Chilton
Didcot                                   Tel:     +44 (1235) 445723
Oxon OX11 0QX                            fax:     +44 (1235) 446667
England                                  e-mail: p.m.allan at rl.ac.uk