[CMC] Re: RF & Modulation meeting in Pasadena

Adrian J. Hooke adrian.j.hooke at jpl.nasa.gov
Tue Oct 12 14:17:46 EDT 2004

Jean-Marc: I will let Jean-Luc Gerner, Gilles Moury and Enrico Vassalo
present their justification for why they feel that these two meetings
should be held separately in Pasadena, rather than together with the other
working groups in Toulouse.

The CMC has the authority to direct where meetings shall be held. As a
reminder, here are the guidelines that were established when the CCSDS was
restructured:

++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++
Meeting Scheduling: The CMC defines the requirements for scheduling the
overall CCSDS meeting cycle so that work results may be reported in a
logical and orderly sequence and management decisions can be made in a
timely manner. The following broad rules are established; however, the CMC
may at any time issue more restrictive policies that limit the choices.

1.      There is no requirement for routine fully centralized CCSDS
"plenary" meetings, though these may be organized occasionally if a
suitable opportunity presents itself (e.g., in association with a major
international conference or other CCSDS event).
2.      The CMC will meet twice per year and must publish its proposed
meeting schedule at least two years in advance.
3.      The CMC may rotate its meetings among the CCSDS Member agencies as
necessary to satisfy hosting protocol. However, in order to minimize travel
costs for delegates there may be practical constraints on the choice of
locations for CMC meetings.
4.      As a minimum, the CESG chairman shall attend the CMC meetings to
report technical progress and make recommendations about the program of
work. The CESG chairman may be supported by key Area Directors as he or she
feels necessary.
5.      Consequently, the CESG meeting must be completed prior to the CMC
meeting, with sufficient time allocated to formulate the CESG report. While
not precluded if convenient, there is no requirement to co-locate the CESG
and CMC meetings.
6.      As a further consequence, each Area must complete its business
prior to the CESG meeting and with sufficient time allowed to formulate an
Area report.
7.      Within the above constraints, each Area Director is free to decide
if, when and where to schedule Area meetings where all Working Groups and
BOFs will co-locate in order to provide maximum opportunities for technical
interchange across different groups. As a general guideline, Area meetings
shall be held in the vicinity of institutions where a significant staff
participation in the Area exists.
8.      In the absence of requirements for an Area meeting, the WG chair
will decide if, when and where face-to-face WG meetings are to be held. As
a general guideline, Working Group meetings shall be held in the vicinity
of institutions where a significant staff participation in the group
exists. Alternative locations are permissible only if specifically approved
by the Area Director.
9.      Area Directors are cautioned that part of their performance
evaluation will be based on their ability to persuade their WG ands BOF
chairs to select meeting locations based on good technical, fiscal and
personnel scheduling considerations, rather than individual preferences.
Put plainly, any perception that CCSDS is a "travel club" may result in
unwelcome intervention by the CMC.

Best regards
Adrian J. Hooke
CESG Chairman