[CESG] MAL PIDs spreadsheet

Shames, Peter M (US 312B) peter.m.shames at jpl.nasa.gov
Mon Jul 18 20:46:37 UTC 2022

Dear Erik, at al,

Thanks for the reminder to provide the SM&C WG PID response spreadsheet, along with my rejoinders, as reviewed.  I think you will find that the PPT file, “SEA MO MAL document analysis 11Jul22” accurately summarizes the intent of my original PIDs.   There are some “further clarifications”, I added in lines 25-29 of this spreadsheet after reviewing the PIDs and responses.  These are highly relevant, but did not appear in the original for reasons that I think will be clear.

Related to that, there was one additional discussion topic that briefly shows up on pg 15 of the PPT, that of the PICS pro forma, but it only gets a bullet and not a separate page.  I remind you that during the meeting we did compare the one page “PICS” in the MAL BB with parts of the comparable section in the CSS CSTS Framework, 921x1b2.  I think the differences in the level of care and detail is informative.

I will acknowledge, as Mehran pointed out, that many of my comments in the original text were formed as questions.  These questions were intended to get the SM&C WG to think carefully about the issues that were being raised because they were, almost uniformly, issues and concerns that could not be repaired with any simple “From: => To:” formulation.  In my judgement that form of input is only really suitable for simple editorial repairs to a sentence or a paragraph.

These issues are much broader and more pervasive than that, and I hope that has now been made crystal clear.

Lastly, I wish to state with clarity what I think we all agreed to:

  1.  That all of the members of the CESG who did not vote in the formal poll, or who voted “Approve Unconditionally”, but then added comments to the effect that they agreed with my inputs, agreed to do the following:
     *   Review the submitted PIDs, the WG dispositions, and my rejoinders in the attached Excel file.
     *   Review the summary analysis PPT file, “SEA MO MAL document analysis 11Jul22”, as presented.
     *   Assess whether the statements made in this analysis are accurate when compared to the cited sections and text in the MAL BB.
     *   Provide written feedback on their assessment of this analysis and the PIDs, preferably with some of their own supporting analysis and detail.
  2.  That the MOIMS SM&C WG review all of these inputs, both from me and from these other Area Directors, and provide, after suitable discussion, their responses, including:
     *   Re-assessment of their PID responses in light of these discussions.
     *   Assessment of the written inputs from the other Area Directors.
     *   Propose their approach for remedying these issues, either by editing the document so that it remedies the issues and aligns with CCSDS Blue Book publication standards, and CCSDS BB document norms, or by agreeing to reformat it as a normative, Magenta Book, “foundational” abstract reference model.
  3.  That I, and preferably the other CESG Area Directors, meet with the SM&C WG to review this feedback and resolve any remaining issues.

IIn fact, I think that this is a significant enough concern that it would be ideal if all CESG members, including those who voted “Approve Unconditionally”, would participate in this process as well.   Only in this way can we assess if there really is consensus on the path forward.

I am willing to commit to this.

For the sake of all concerned, including the WG, the Area, the CESG, our member agencies, and all of our users I think it would be best to get these issues resolved.

Best regards, Peter