[CESG] [Secretariat] [EXTERNAL] Re: CESG Approval of Revised Information Security Glossary

Shames, Peter M (US 312B) peter.m.shames at jpl.nasa.gov
Wed Feb 5 16:50:44 UTC 2020

Thanks Margherita,
I do want to point out that there are many places, besides Security, where we use ISO definitions.  One of the most commonly cited references when talking of protocols is ISO/IEC 7498, otherwise known as the "Open Systems Interconnection - Basic Reference Model (BRM) ".  Most of SLS, a lot of SIS, and SEA all reference this seven layer model.  In fact, I think CSS, MOIMS, and SOIS do as well.  A lot of the terminology that we use, relating to protocols, layers, interfaces, PDU, SDU, etc, is sourced directly from the ISO BRM.   There are other ISO standards that are not as widely used, but which have been referenced, and the definitions used, either directly or with adaptations, in CCSDS standards.

To my knowledge this has never come up as an issue before.  We have always believed that this fell in the context of "fair use".  See https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Fair_use for an exact description.  This is, as far as I can tell, US (and UK) practice, but it may not be the same in other countries.  I think our use of these definitions does fall within the context defined here, even if there and a large number of definitions used, as long as the source is cited.

My opinion, and I am no lawyer.

Regards, Peter