[CESG] SOIS Comment on MIB configuration data: [EXTERNAL] Fw: SLS reply to SEA Conditions on Poll CESG-P-2019-12-002 Approval to release CCSDS 131.3-P-1.1, CCSDS Space Link Protocols over ETSI DVB-S2 Standard (Pink Sheets, Issue 1.1) for CCSDS Agency review

Margherita.di.Giulio at esa.int Margherita.di.Giulio at esa.int
Tue Feb 4 15:07:42 UTC 2020

Dear All,
having seen the thread of discussions,  I’d like to recall that there is
(or should be) an ongoing activity about the assessment of commonality of
data representation between Recommendations belonging to different CCSDS
domains.
At the CESG Meeting in Mountain View we noted the following:
“Management Information Base: different domains may have similar needs to
represent the information that they manage. There is ,  possibly,  an
intersection between the Management Information Bases Electronic Data
Sheets (EDS: SOIS), the Functional Resource model (FR: CSS), and network
management concerns (SIS). This topic to be further explored by joint
meetings by involved Areas “
At the CESG Meeting in Darmstadt, Jonathan presented a couple of slides
(Title: “Operational Interfaces for On-Board Service Management, Protocol
Management Information Base (MIB)) which only introduced the topic. So,
this matter still needs to be actually tackled.
The MoM of the Darmstadt meeting records the following action(s) :
-       AI/S19-1 JW : JW to produce a short presentation to introduce the
notion of MIB, data formats (template) , commonality and possible
relationship to other Areas.
-       Status: Not much progress since the CESG Telecon. Some discussion
took place during the Technical Meeting. This action is closed, but a new
AI is issued:
-       New AI : J.Wilmot:  to call a Telecon involving  SOIS, SIS, CSS to
assess data representation aspects (e.g. MIB) in different CCSDS domains
and brainstorm about commonalities. Outcome to be presented at CESG
Mid-term Telecon.

I think we shall keep pursuing the definition of a CCSDS “formalism” for
data representation.
With respect to Jonathan’s  comments to the CESG Poll about “SLP over ETSI
DVB-S2 Standard” I think that only once the formalism has been established
 it will make sense to request that CCSDS Recommendation, which containing
MIB or configuration data,  shall stick to it
Finally, I'd like to ask Jonathan to let us have an update at the upcoming
CESG Telecon.
Kind regards,
Margherita

Margherita di Giulio