[CESG] SOIS Comment on MIB configuration data: [EXTERNAL] Fw: SLS reply to SEA Conditions on Poll CESG-P-2019-12-002 Approval to release CCSDS 131.3-P-1.1, CCSDS Space Link Protocols over ETSI DVB-S2 Standard (Pink Sheets, Issue 1.1) for CCSDS Agency review

Shames, Peter M (US 312B) peter.m.shames at jpl.nasa.gov
Mon Feb 3 20:32:58 UTC 2020

Hi Gippo and Jonathan,

It may come as no surprise that I think both of you are "right" in some sense, but that the best path may lie in the middle of the two positions that you have staked out.

I think Gippo is "right" in that in most of our specs where we have MIB specified we do not tend to make it be a formalized part of the spec.

I think that Jonathan is "right" in that some added formality would make these MIB values be more easily interpreted and exchanged for interoperability.

Where I differ from Gippo is that I think you could add more clarity in how the MIB and its fields are defined without straying into the "this is how you implement it" territory.  In fact, just using those Tables 5-1 and 5-2 as examples, the only way to read that is that "transfer frame length" is an integer with a range and that CRC is an enumerated list that references specified, documented, algorithms.  In the case of Table 5-2 it is even clearer that Transmission Mode is an enumerated list, Baseband pulse shaping is a float, and that scrambling code, and other fields, are integers.  That is what they state, either explicitly, i.e. "List of integers", or implicitly, i.e. fractional numbers with a decimal point.  Specifying these as a data type and value range pair instead of the ambiguous "allowed values" is not implementation, just clarity.

Where I differ from Jonathan is that some of the interface detail specificity that is possible with the EDS and DoT may be overkill for this purpose, which is not necessarily thought of as an "interface".  It may, as is pointed out in many specs that include a "MIB", just be a list of the kinds of parameters that implementations may choose to put into a table, or embed in code, in their implementations.  From the PoV of the standard these may be treated as "implementation concerns".  That means that there is not any "thou shall" language about how to implement them.  But that doesn't mean that they aren't important, nor does it mean that treating them a little more formally wouldn't be a good thing.

From the PoV of our users I will assert that knowing just exactly which choices were made during the implementation of programs that are intended to interoperate is essential.  It may not be a concern HOW they are implemented, that is an implementation choice, but it certainly matters THAT they are implemented and which options are available.  This is something that could well be handled in a fully specified PICS that fills out the PICS pro forma for two (or more) imp[lementations.  But that, I will assert, would be made more simple if all of the data types and values that might appear in a MIB were clearly identified, and in a way where they are easy to document.  Use of the EDS / DoT is a documented method for doing this, but so is use of the PICS pro forma, as long as the data type and value ranges that are possible are clearly specified along with the options that are actually implemented,

I think a little more clarity in the specs that include MIBs would be a benefit to everyone.

Cheers, Peter