[CESG] Conflicting description of Agency REVIEW INSTRUCTIONS FOR REVIEWERS vs. Org & Proc Yellow Book

Gian.Paolo.Calzolari at esa.int Gian.Paolo.Calzolari at esa.int
Thu Oct 4 08:38:15 UTC 2018

Dear Margherita,
        recently I noticed on CCSDS web pages a discrepancy about the
REVIEW INSTRUCTIONS FOR REVIEWERS provided at different links.
I think we may need to improve this also with respect to the Org & Proc
Yellow Book.

I give you an example with the Review Documents - CCSDS 357.0-R-1 (as this
is just started and the web links will not diisappear soon from the CCSDS
web site.
At https://public.ccsds.org/Lists/CCSDS%203570R1/Overview.aspx three links
are provided for
1)    CCSDS Agency (excluding NASA)
https://public.ccsds.org/Lists/CCSDS%203570R1/CCSDSAgency.aspx
2)    NASA Center
https://public.ccsds.org/Lists/CCSDS%203570R1/NASAUSOverview.aspx
3)    NASA-Sponsored CCSDS Associate
https://public.ccsds.org/Lists/CCSDS%203570R1/NASAUSOverview.aspx

For #1 the REVIEW INSTRUCTIONS FOR REVIEWERS state
Member and Observer Agencies are requested to send their sets of review
comments to the Review Coordinator with a copy to the CCSDS Secretariat.
Each review comment should be submitted on a separate Review Item
Disposition (RID) form. Submission of RIDs in electronic form is
preferred. The following ASCII RID forms are available (click on form name
to access): Contact the Secretariat office at
secretariat at mailman.ccsds.org if you have questions.
Click Here to Download an ASCII RID Form
This formulation is basically coincident with the one in CCSDS A02.1-Y-4
Page D-2  (as part of the DRAFT RECOMMENDED STANDARD FORWARDING FORM)

Conversely for #2 and #3 (BTW, As far as I can see those two web pages are
identical) the REVIEW INSTRUCTIONS FOR REVIEWERS state
The HTML RID form provided at the link below is for submitting your review
comments. You may enter as many RIDs as needed. Contact the Secretariat
office at secretariat at mailman.ccsds.org if you have questions.
Click Here to Submit an HTML RID form (for automated submission of review
comments).
This formulation is completely different from the one in CCSDS A02.1-Y-4
Page D-2

IMHO this formulation is misleading and can explains some inconveniences
experienced in the past with NASA RIDs not (formally) submitted timely to
Agency review. For this reason I think it worth commenting even if #2 and
#3 may be regarded as the NASA internal procedure required by Org & Proc
clause 6.2.5.4 Each  CCSDS  Agency  shall  be  responsible  for
establishing  local  procedures  for  review of CCSDS documents.

I think that the description REVIEW INSTRUCTIONS FOR REVIEWERS for NASA
centres shall be made closer to the general one.
Moreover, since the page list several coordinators it should be made clear
that the automatic submission is an automatic submission to the NASA
Center Review Coordinator ( to the NASA Review Coordinator?) and NOT to
the Overall review coordinator.

In general i wonder whether a clause should be added to Org & Proc section
6.2.5 FORMAL AGENCY REVIEW  to state clearly e.g.:
6.2.5.5 Each  CCSDS  Agency  shall send their set of RIDs  to the Review
Coordinator with a copy to the CCSDS Secretariat.

An Ancillary comment about the list in 3 items provided e.g. at
https://public.ccsds.org/Lists/CCSDS%203570R1/Overview.aspx is that it
looks only NASA-Sponsored CCSDS Associate can provide RIDs while e.g.
ESA-Sponsored CCSDS Associate cannot.
Looking at Org & Proc Yellow Book section "4.1.5 ASSOCIATE" I found that
"The sponsoring agency is expected to invite its  Associates to
participate in CCSDS document reviews  and  to  incorporate  those
Associate  re
view  comments  that  accord  with  its  agency  position into its
consolidated set of review comments at close of review. " I wonder whether
this shroud be better remarked e.g. modifying the link #1 ro state
CCSDS Agency & their Sponsored CCSDS Associate  (excluding NASA)

Just my cent................... for possible discussion in CESG

Best regards

Gian Paolo