[CESG] Use of "Substantive changes"

Shames, Peter M (312B) peter.m.shames at jpl.nasa.gov
Mon May 15 14:50:27 UTC 2017

Hi Mario,

You just mentioned that you thought the word "substantive" did not appear in the CCSDS YB.  But it does, in sec 6.2.5.2 (emphasis added):

6.2.5 FORMAL AGENCY REVIEW
6.2.5.2 Once review of a document has been authorized, that document may be reviewed more than once without additional polling of the CMC:
.          c)  if substantive changes are made to a document that has completed review without technical comment, the Secretariat shall conduct a final review in which Agencies can approve or reject the document but may not suggest additional changes;

As with most words in the English language that are used in our documents, but not specifically defined, we depend on common usage in English to define meanings.  In this case we can refer to one or more dictionary definitions for this "common usage".  Try these:

Google primary definition
sub·stan·tive
adjective
adjective: substantive
1.       having a firm basis in reality and therefore important, meaningful, or considerable.
"there is no substantive evidence for the efficacy of these drugs"

Oxford dictionary definition
substantive
adjective
·         Having a firm basis in reality and so important, meaningful, or considerable.
‘there is no substantive evidence for the efficacy of these drugs’

There are also a few uses of "substantive change", but these tend to be organization / topic specific.  A couple that are relevant are these:

When you talk about substantive change, you mean change that really makes a difference.

Substantive change is a significant modification or expansion in the nature and scope of an accredited institution

So this specific definition mentions "accredited organization", for us it could say "draft document", and that would have appropriate meaning in our context.  I think that these meanings are clear.  I hope you do as well.

Regards, Peter