[CESG] IOAG: Service Catalogue #1

Shames, Peter M (312B) peter.m.shames at jpl.nasa.gov
Tue Sep 27 16:46:45 UTC 2016

Hi Nestor,

Like most of us, I have many masters and many roles.  I try to not get them confused, but I do not always explicitly say "I am wearing my CESG member, SEA AD, hat now".  But let me be clear, when I comment, either in CESG email or in CESG meetings I am always wearing the CCSDS SEA AD "hat".  If I ever think it is necessary or required to state that I am speaking as a NASA person I usually announce that.

The fact that one of my bosses, Wallace Tai, participated in IOAG as a NASA / DSN person does not take away my responsibility as a CESG AD to provide a technical assessment of whether I think that what was proposed by the IOAG makes technical sense.  In this case I think that what they proposed was flawed and it is my CCSDS SEA AD responsibility to raise that as an issue.

What is "weird" to me is to think that separating these roles is not normal.  Does your comment mean that you think that you, I, and every other CESG member, are always speaking from an agency or network point of view as opposed to our CESG Chair and Area Director point of view?  I hope that is not the case, but it might be.

Thanks, Peter