[CESG] First draft of CCSDS presentation tio IOAG 20

Shames, Peter M (312B) peter.m.shames at jpl.nasa.gov
Mon Sep 26 16:09:17 UTC 2016

Hi Nestor,

I've just looked over the package.  On pg 4 I think we are missing the Registry Management Policy, CCSDS 313.1-Y-1, which was published in June.

On pg 12 I do not know what this means:
" The grouping of TM, TC and Alert/Event services as M&C seems more logical from an Application Layer viewpoint. The current grouping reflects historical perspectives based on TM/TC protocols."

Are you saying that TM, TC, and Alert should be Application Layer services?   Those are link layer, unless you are really meaning the SLE services that deliver these data (and AOS too).  And even if you are meaning SLE, these are really extensions of the link, as named, even if they have their own service interfaces.  They are not Application Layer in any usual sense that term is used.  To be frank, I do not know why the MOSSG would concern itself with these services at all, except to just use them as is.  Likewise AOS bitstream service.

On pg 13, under "interoperability", mention of:
"compliance with longā€term digital preservation practices, such as CCSDS standards for OAIS, PAIS"

Is misplaced since these are MB procedures and do not exhibit any properties, nor define any standards, related to interoperability.  If they develop some sort of formal specs for data exchange that would change, but right now this is not accurate.

Regards, Peter