[CESG] Why renaming GSCID inf revised CCSDS SCID Code Assignment Control Procedures?

Gian.Paolo.Calzolari at esa.int Gian.Paolo.Calzolari at esa.int
Tue Jul 12 13:18:55 UTC 2016

Dear CESGers,
        in order to gain time and not to delay eventual Poll and start of
Agency Review, I would like to anticipate that as SLS AD I wonder about
the need of renaming GSCID in revised CCSDS SCID Code Assignment Control
Procedures.

In fact the revised book includes a new definition of GSCID (see snapshot)
that is conflicting with the definition in the Blue Book in force (see
second snapshot) as the new one also refers to Frequency Band.

First of all I think that it is not appropriate modifying a term used for
so many years (and for sure spread in "billions" of documents from many
agencies) also considering that the the prefix "Global" is widely used for
e.g. the Global VCID and Global MAP ID (for sure in SLE and SLS books)
without considering the Frequency Band.
Therefore there would be a discrepancy of meaning about the term Global
between the GSCID and the GVCID

Last, but not list the book title "CCSDS Global Spacecraft Identification
Field" points to a field i.e. a portion of data that is normally contained
in transfer frames. In other words while the actual GSCID matches
completely the contents of some bits of a Frame Header, the proposed
future GSCID will not.

As a conclusion I would retain the current definition of  GSCID while
adding a new definition for the  concatenation of the frequency band (FB),
2-bit Version Number (VN) and the SCID.
This could be called Universal SCID, Super SCID, Supreme SCID, Frequenced
SCID or whatever you prefer.    [Please consider some humour in some
proposed definitions.]

Regards

Gian Paolo

PS Of course I did not perform a complete review of the document.......