[CESG] SLS Area Dispositions for SEA Condition on CESG Polls CESG-P-2016-06-001 & CESG-P-2016-05-004

Moury Gilles Gilles.Moury at cnes.fr
Tue Aug 2 08:17:04 UTC 2016

Dear Peter,
Let me answer to your mail with a few remarks :

-          First, thank you for the review of the USLP draft red book you have performed. It is very valuable and has been greatly appreciated.

-          A few statistics : you have issued 40 comments : 24 have been accepted or accepted with modification; 16 have been rejected

-          For the 16 comments rejected, the main reasons are:

o   Avoid development of a Unified COP replacing COP-1and CPO-P: we (Gian-Paolo and I) think this development, also it is a mere unification, would imply a significant amount of resources and would require a project of its own. If we include this in USLP, there is a risk that it might derail the project (i.e. significant additional delay). Therefore, we rejected your related comments;

o   Maintain compatibility with existing C&S recommendations (TC and TM) including on-going revisions (TC : addition of LDPCC; TM: addition of slicing) : USLP is a complex data link protocol unifying features we had in TC, TM and/or AOS, and adding new features to cover emerging user needs. Nevertheless, we should maintain compatibility/coherency between the CCSDS recommendations at the various layers. It does not mean we want to stifle innovation but we want, while innovating at the various layers, to avoid introducing incompatibilities /incoherencies that would be detrimental to CCSDS credibility as an organization developing communication standards following an OSI layered architecture. So the innovations at the various layers need to be somehow coordinated so that the interfaces still interoperate when one layer is updated;

o   Keep stable book structure for CCSDS data link protocol recommendations (true also for C&S), unless of course errors, flaws and incompatibilities with new features to be introduced are discovered. This is why we have rejected a number of your comments asking for changing either document structure, ordering of subsection/requirements or altering standard text found in existing CCSDS data link protocol books. The rationale for change you propose is usually valid. Some of your proposed changes have been accepted because they clearly correspond to errors that need to be corrected. The rest have been rejected because: either the rationale was false, or we did not think the improvement was significant enough to justify a change.

-          In any case, this USLP red book will probably go through several agency reviews before it is finalized. Therefore, there will be opportunities to input any comment/RID that you think need to be discussed and dispositioned by the WG.

-          As a conclusion and in response to the general tone of your mail, I would say that SLS AD & DAD are not trying to stifle innovation but rather to maintain coherency of the CCSDS stack of protocols (especially those under their responsibility), while constantly innovating at the various layers.

Best regards,

Gilles

Gilles MOURY
CNES Toulouse