[CESG] Revised updates to CCSDS Org & Proc doc, A02.1-Y-4c1

Shames, Peter M (312B) peter.m.shames at jpl.nasa.gov
Fri Sep 25 17:43:28 UTC 2015

Thanks Nestor.

I agree that we did not discuss this topic, somehow it got left off the list.

I still am not clear why you think we need to add this other constraint, since there should not be a conflict of interest between an AD and WG, no more than there would be a schedule conflict because the CESG meetings and the working meetings are disjoint in time.  I would be interested in understanding just what issue it is that this change in policy would fix?

That said, just out of curiosity I took a look at the impact of this change in policy if we were to enact it.

SEA

  *   Shames and Peccia could not be XSG co-chairs
  *   Shames could not be SAWG chair
  *   Weiss could not be Sec WG chair or would have to stop being SLS SLDS deputy

MOIMS

  *   Sarkarati could not be MP chair or would have to stop being SM&C deputy

CSS

  *   DiGiulia could not be CSTS chair or would have to stiop being CSS DAD
  *   Barkley could not be SM chair or would have to stiop being CSS AD

SOIS

  *   No impact

SLS

  *   Moury could not be SLDS chair or would have to stiop being SLS DAD
  *   Weiss could not be SDLS deputy or would have to stop being SEA Sec chair

SIS

  *   Scott could not be DTN WG chair or would have to stop being SIS AD
  *   Peinado could not be Voice WG chair or would have to stop being SIS MIA deputy (note that Peinado is also a CMC member, maybe that disqualifies him altogether from any chair role)

I doubt that anyone who is in an AD or WG chair position would make these other changes, so the end result, using this assumption, would be this;

New AD or DAD: none
New WG chair: 7
New WG deputy: 4

Personally I think that all of these changes would be quite disruptive to CCSDS operations.  Furthermore I do not think that there is much in the way of real conflicts, either of time or responsibilities with things as they are.

Perhaps you think that shaking up the organization and opening up some new positions would be a healthy thing to do?   Please provide a rationale for making this change.

Thanks, Peter