[CESG] Re: AW: [SANA #5270] AW: SCID assignments

Shames, Peter M (312B) peter.m.shames at jpl.nasa.gov
Wed Jul 29 16:18:24 UTC 2015

Dear Osvaldo,

As I think you are aware, the CCSDS is in danger of running out of available spacecraft ID (SCID) numbers.  You could say that we are now being hurt by our own success because there are so many spacecraft using CCSDS data link and related standards that we no longer can assign a SCID for the spacecraft, the simulator, and other possible “flight-less birds”.

In the current SCID document, CCSDS 320.0-B-6C1, we have this statement (emphasis added):

Section 2.1 Purpose of the CCSDS SCID

Because the SCID field is only eight or ten bits long, the SCID is not intended to provide unique identification for all times.
 It is inevitable that the SCIDs will have to be reused; however, at any one time, the number of vehicles under simulation,
test, or active operational control is not anticipated to exceed the available numbering domains.

Clearly this is no longer the case and the SSG, SLS and CESG have been discussing this for at least the last three meetings.  There are several loosely coordinated activities which are now in process that relate to this:

1) We have requested the Agency Representatives to relinquish all assigned SCIDs for spacecraft that are no longer operational.  This has been somewhat successful, but we need to do it again.
2) We are in the process of revising the SCID assignment procedures to no longer allow assignment of multiple SCID for a spacecraft (simulators, testers, etc)
3) We are considering the use of frequency separation as well as the current Version Number (VN) separation that is now in use.  This could relatively easily increase the number assignment space.
4) Under the new registry approach that is now in discussion we will be assigning unique, permanent, object identifiers (OID) to all spacecraft, similators, flightless birds, etc.  These will persist through time.
5) We are working on a new protocol, USLP, with a larger SCID number space.

We have not yet discussed in any depth what recommendation we can make to organizations who wish to have a separate, unique, SCID that they can use internally to distinguish the spacecraft from any other simulators or test gigs.  Clearly this is a concern, but it is may be treated as an internal issue that can be managed locally.  It does not have the same potential for cross agency impact because any such signals will not be broadcast.

If you (or anyone else on this thread) has any other ideas or wishes to contribute to the discussion please do so.  I think that this is an important enough issue for us to work quickly (as quickly as CCSDS can move) to come up with a resolution.

Best regards, Peter