[CESG] CCSDS Strategic Plan

Shames, Peter M (313B) peter.m.shames at jpl.nasa.gov
Wed Sep 25 20:01:01 EDT 2013

Hi Gippo,

I do understand the point you are making, but I really question that these things belong in a strategic plan.   I hardly think that "future maintenance work" would be on anyone's Strategic Plan, but I certainly understand the need to consider it from a tactical / resource loading point of view.  For example, a statement like "I'm going to buy a new hybrid car" is qualitatively different than "I'm going to get new tires."

Similarly the parts about "we've already done this.", which are useful for understanding what has been done but not necessarily for what is intended to be done.   For example, a statement like "We've produced RF coding standards." may be relevant to "We're planning to produce new forward coding standards.", but is of little relevance to "We're planning to produce new optical comm standards."

In any event, all of the "this is what we did" parts are already in the web site.  I still do not see what benefit we get from repeating them in the Strategic Plan and it just looks like one more piece of information that we need to update and keep in sync, for no real benefit.

I do however, think that adding more explanatory material about area goals to the entries in the web site makes sense.   Many of the area pages have limited information now and embellishing them with some added goals, motivations, and plans would probably be a good thing.  That also puts it in one place (rather than two) and gets it out where people are more likely to see it.  I doubt that many of the people who find the web site will go looking for a Strategic Plan, but I think the current design leads them nicely to these pages.

Regards, Peter