[CESG] Can we put a quick discussion of the SSI Architecture Document on the agenda for the telecon?

Shames, Peter M (312G) peter.m.shames at jpl.nasa.gov
Thu Oct 10 11:25:04 EDT 2013

Hi Chris,

I think we are in agreement on a few things:

1) We need a complete enough and stable set of specs in order to engage
the missions and the space comm service providers.  These are likely to be
rolled out in stages, as was the terrestrial Internet, but the core parts
must be there.  The core parts of DTN (BP, LTP, BSP, UT layer, CGR) are
largely stable and available now.
2) Network management, routing updates, and schedule coordination can be
done manually for now, until the number of nodes grows, so the the more
advanced, automated, protocols to do this cn be staged later.
3) While missions can (and have) adopted DTN on their own, using manual
means to coordinate services, we really do need to provide the DTN
services as part of the space comm service provider suite of services on
the ground.  This is the piece that was missing acknowldgement in the SSI
document.
4) As you point out, we will also need to have space comm service
providers in space, such as relay spacecraft, relay stations on other
planets (eventually) and hybrid relay / science spacecraft as interim
providers.

As for "unrealistic to think we can run the DTN protocols in software at
the required speed", I know that is not an issue.  Perhaps for extremely
high performance communications we may need some added hardware support,
but the current software approaches already run at 2 Gbps speeds.  The
current DTN software, which complies on Linux, Windows, RTEMS, and other
OS platforms, can run at 2 Gbps speeds on a normal, Linux, desktop
computer.  There is no technical reason why this could not be ported today
to a co-processor in an SDR, and provide communications speeds that vastly
exceed the link speeds that most of our missions are presently capable of.

Regards, Peter