[CESG] Can we put a quick discussion of the SSI Architecture Document on the agenda for the telecon?

Chris.Taylor at esa.int Chris.Taylor at esa.int
Thu Oct 10 03:20:03 EDT 2013

Peter, l I have no problem with the rearrangement of the slides as I assume
it is only a small change,  but I find the term "space communications service
providers" a little confusing. I guess this refers to the ground services,
which is fine but ignores the changes required in the space segment? I do
think that the most important way forward is to provide standard DTN services
in the ground segment as only then will the space segment developers follow.
It is unrealistic to think that missions will be willing to incur the
cost/risk of both flight and ground segment updates.

For the flight segment we need stable CCSDS specs and then a period of R&D to
develop the required hardware support as it is unrealistic to think we can
run the DTN protocols in software at the required speed.

Regards,
//ct