[CESG] New version of the CCSSD Strategic Plan / Transfer frame format for Optical Links

Gian.Paolo.Calzolari at esa.int Gian.Paolo.Calzolari at esa.int
Tue Mar 5 07:29:36 EST 2013

Peter's comment
I question if we want to state outright that we will develop an new
optical comm link layer instead of figuring out how we might make the new,
unified, "Space Data Link Protocol integrating the best features of TM,
TC, AOS, and Proximity-1 and providing a common link layer transfer frame
format able to satisfy future space data link needs" do the job.  There is
also in SLS what looks like a MOIMS-style data exchange spec for weather
that I thought was already under discussion within the Nav WG, but I might
be mistaken.
[Nestor] To be discussed at Bordeaux.

Peter,
        the current SLS goal for Optical links is stated as follows.

a       To create new standards for optical links (ISO layers 1&2) support
other areas as needed in adapting/creating standards for e.g. service
management, higher layers protocols, best practices, ? to accommodate
optical communications needs.
i.      By 2018 agree the basic characteristics of optical terminals;
ii.     By 2020 develop standards for modulation and coding for return
links;
iii.    By 2020 identify means to adapt existing or planned data link
protocols or develop new optical communication-specific protocols for
optimizing communications over optical links.
iv.     By 2020 identify and define if necessary standards for data
exchange of forecasts and meteorological data from ground sites relevant
for optical communication.
v.      By 2025 develop standards for combinations of modulation and
coding for channel-dependent effects considering e.g., first VCM and then
ACM techniques;
vi.     By 2025 develop standards for modulation and coding for forward
links.

The  unified, "Space Data Link Protocol integrating the best features of
TM, TC, AOS, and Proximity-1 and providing a common link layer transfer
frame format able to satisfy future space data link needs" is just a
proposal with no approved project. Discussion in SLS is ongoing and of
course it may be decided to start a project and eventually to use that
protocol also for optical links.

I think the current text for bullet "iii" is completely correct and
consistent with this possibility.

Bullet "iv" can indeed look  as a <MOIMS-style data exchange spec>.
However what is important is that the need for such data and the
characteristics of such data would identified within SLS by the optical
experts. Eventually the real spec could even be finalized outside SLS.

More details can of course be discussed in Bordeaux.

Regards

Gian Paolo

This message and any attachments are intended for the use of the addressee or addressees only. The unauthorised disclosure, use, dissemination or copying (either in whole or in part) of its content is not permitted. If you received this message in error, please notify the sender and delete it from your system. Emails can be altered and their integrity cannot be guaranteed by the sender.