[CESG] RE: Draft CFDP Pink Sheet supporting an optional 'finished' PDU in class-1

Chris.Taylor at esa.int Chris.Taylor at esa.int
Mon Jul 22 09:28:57 EDT 2013

Keith, does it make any sense to raise pink sheets just for the Class 1
finished PDU when we have a bunch of other proposals on the table?  I do
agree it may be good to identify the changes required for this particular
change (we may go ahead and introduce it for one of our projects) but
performing the changes and the validation in salmi slices seems a little
inefficient

Regards,
//ct

|------------>
| From:      |
|------------>
  |"Scott, Keith L." <kscott at mitre.org>                                                                                                             |
  >-------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------|
|------------>
| To:        |
|------------>
  |"Gian.Paolo.Calzolari at esa.int" <Gian.Paolo.Calzolari at esa.int>,                                                                                   |
  >-------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------|
|------------>
| Cc:        |
|------------>
  |"CCSDS Engineering Steering Group - CESG Exec \(cesg at mailman.ccsds.org\)" <cesg at mailman.ccsds.org>                                               |
  >-------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------|
|------------>
| Date:      |
|------------>
  >-------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------|
  |22/07/2013 15:23                                                                                                                                 |
  >-------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------|
|------------>
| Subject:   |
|------------>
  >-------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------|
  |[CESG] RE: Draft CFDP Pink Sheet supporting an optional 'finished' PDU in class-1                                                                |
  >-------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------|
|------------>
| Sent by:   |
|------------>
  |cesg-bounces at mailman.ccsds.org                                                                                                                   |
  >-------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------|

Gian Paolo,

The SIS-DTN WG identified the need for the 'finished' PDU in Class-1 CFDP,
and it seemed small enough that we could 'just do it'.  This is JUST for the
pink sheet to allow the 'finished' PDU, and DOES NOT include larger changes
to CFDP (such as modifications to allow larger files, etc.).  I suggest that
this project remain in SIS-DTN, since we have a draft document and the
proposed changes are minimal.

It seemed more procedurally correct to start a new WG for the full-scale CFDP
review, since CFDP was created by its own WG outside of DTN and has its own
Green and Blue Books.  The proposed 'CFDP revisisons' WG would do the work of
revising CFDP according to its charter (which lists a number of possible
augmentations / modifications).  These changes would be (possibly big)
changes to the CFDP protocol itself, and it seemed wrong to do them in
SIS-DTN.

As always, there's a large overlap in the actual people involved.  If the
CESG / CMC thinks it's better to roll the CFDP updates into the SIS-DTN WG
I'm not opposed to it, but it seems like semi-unrelated work for SIS-DTN.

        --keith