[CESG] Action CMC-A-2012-04-07

Scott, Keith L. kscott at mitre.org
Fri Jan 25 08:01:15 EST 2013

Right.  The notion is not CFDP ONLY over BP, but CFDP as an application over something (which could be Single-Hop[encap (unreliable), LTP Green (unreliable), LTP Red (reliable)], or Multi-Hop[BP, (reliable or unreliable)].  What if we modified the CFDP text as:

By 2020: to evolve CFDP to be an application-layer protocol able to run over a range of transfer mechanisms such as the Encapsulation Service, the Licklider Transmission Protocol, and the Bundle Protocol.

If the Long-Term plan were to transition to CFDP over 'stuff' [e.g. (Red) LTP for reliable 1-hop communications and BP for reliable multi-hop communications], would that meet your technical needs?

I would argue strongly for moving from SFO to CFDP/BP for future missions (the whole reason that the CFDP-over-Encap book is structured the way it is), but that's a longer discussion.

If you can agree that the *Long-Term* plan is to transition CFDP to be modular then I think the 'strategic goal' could stand (though maybe the timing is off).  I certainly wouldn't advocate changing capabilities that flight projects are planning to use, but I also hope that we could at least think of evolving the protocols/services together with flight projects in order to improve conditions at a careful, measured pace.

            Best Regards,

                        --keith