[CESG] FW: OLSG Report Addendum Recommendations for CCSDS

Gian.Paolo.Calzolari at esa.int Gian.Paolo.Calzolari at esa.int
Fri Nov 23 07:29:32 EST 2012

Adrian,
        SLS is going to welcome the twenty additional working groups
without any problem :o)
OK, jokes apart, here are my CESG-limited comments "at a glance".
Note that I miss background for their choices and clearly some remarks are
more questions about that background than negative comments.
As well, I can guess that Priority 1 means start now (e.g. according to
the last roadmap: BoF in 2013, WG in 2014 onward) but would be interesting
to know the target end for priority 1 as well the expected time frames for
other priorities.

1.1     It would be good to know how much this independent study would
affect/prevent future CCSDS activities.
1.2     Not a real CCSDS matter but rather a question for IOAG in keeping
alive OLSG in parallel to CCSDS WGs.

1.3 row by row:
a) dual wavelength: It looks as a proposal for a reasonable compromise to
have the configurable part on ground (i.e. more or less what we already do
for RF, coding, etc.)

b) uplink beacon: I understand this is limited to the uplink needed for
establishing a downlink connection. In such a sense is OK with priority 1
while I think that optical uplink will have lower priority.

c) return link modulation+coding - OK for priority 1. Minor comment: I
would remove "two sets" as the WG should study whether it is possible to
have a single set or not.

d) VCM ok for lower priority.

e) ACM ok for priority lower than VCM even if one can consider ACM a more
dynamic VCM (i.e. the difference may be on uplink interaction and
management issues) .

f) forward link modulation+coding - OK for priority lower than 1, but I
would like to understand the urgency of requirements for Optical Uplink.
Which kind of "TC" is really needing very high speed and very high volume
of data? Could e.g. VCM ma be more urgent than forward link?

g) Studying IOAG Catalogs. In the Spring 2013 Darmstadt Meeting I made a
presentation to SLS-OCM. You find it here
http://cwe.ccsds.org/sls/docs/SLS-OCM/Meeting%20Materials/2012_04_Darmstadt/Presentations/OpticsInCCSDSstack.v0.9.ppt
 . In that presentation I suggested to focus the initial work on (re)using
SLE RAF and RCF services to minimize the impact on the "surroundings".
However, as the Telemetry Optical data rates exceed the terrestrial line
capacity, those services should be carried out in offline delivery mode. I
also mentioned that using CFDP to downlink files is an attractive option
and Optical Communications could be the pushing factor for the full
implementation or Return File Services in the IOAG sense (i.e. a Service
that enables a mission to send the contents of a file to a Control Center
by allowing a Ground Tracking Asset to provide a Control Center with files
received from a spacecraft). To summarize I think that initially optical
communications could initially focus reusing RAF, RCF and CFDP (with file
reconstructed in the station and eventually transferred to control center
with IOAG Return Frame Service). In the longer run longer frames (as both
TM and AOS standards limit the frame length to about 2048 octets) should
be made available and this could even require adapting/creating new
standards not limited to SLS-SLP. Having said this, I wonder whether this
item shall really be Priority 1 as the availability could be required
after the items that have immediate need to get a working optical
communications.

h) meteo data: it looks an issue similar to radio metric etc. Once a data
format is defined, the exchange could be via file transfer for which cross
support service are expected sooner or later. I think that there would be
no real time issues as meteo events are normally slow.  I wonder whether
it could have less  priority (e.g. 1 and 1/2 :o) but this is just a
detail.

i) standard practice for automatic retransmission: this is puzzling me.
Automatic retransmission is normally part of a protocol and not a
practice. I need to know/understand more, but should be coupled with the
definition of new optical protocols mentioned above in the item for "
Studying IOAG Catalogs". In such a sense Priority 2 looks OK.

j) service management updates: Priority 2 looks OK to me but CSS may
comment on resources.

k) best practices. This last bullet is very wide and could mean several
magenta books. We  need to know/understand more but is is OK not being
priority 1.

Summarizing: the items given priority 1 look OK to me  with the exception
of developing "immediately" optical communication-specific protocols that
may be unfeasible/risky for resource and schedule issues.
As well I would need to better understand/know the use cases for optical
forward link.

With respect to your racing comment, indeed SIS also has a horse in this
race specially for CFDP, LTP and possible interaction with SLS-SLP for a
new longer frame structure.
CSS-SM will also be impacted while CSS-CSTS should initially be affected
only for the planned work on file transfer while in the long run "optical
communication-specific protocols" could have a domino effect.
For SLS however I think it will be more similar to Greyhound racing where
we have to play the role of the lure :o)
http://greyhounddogsite.com/wp-content/uploads/greyhound-lure.jpg

This is all for my initial analysis based on Bernies' fast report.

I wish you all a nice week end.