[CESG] Re: [Moims-dai] RE: CESG - MOIMS Resolution Nr 1 after last Fall 2012 CCSDS meeting,

John Garrett John.G.Garrett at nasa.gov
Thu Nov 15 03:05:31 EST 2012

Hi Adrian,

Sorry this message just came in, looks like it was held up along the line
somewhere.  Since hadn't seen this before and did not get a chance to reply to
it, it may have led to some misunderstandings.

I agree that we need something with them.
A number of them (such as DEDSL and EAST) are actively being used and are the
most current versions of CCSDS Standards that we have. There is no proposed
replacement for them at this point.  Certainly these should remain Blue Books
until there is a defined replacement.  Effective Standards that were well thought
out when defined shouldn't be punished because they remain in use and effective
without needing changes for many years.

Other standards (such as SFDU and XFDU)  are more problematic.  They aren't
totally replacements for one another.  I would generally recommend XFDU for
totally new systems although SFDU could also still make sense for NEW projects,
especially if the data was binary formatted rather than character oriented.   An
analysis of the actual project should be conducted to determine what best meets
the needs of the project.  This is sort of like determining what computer
language you use to program in.  The community didn't convert the FORTRAN
standard to historical status just because JAVA came along.  We can use either
one of them to write almost any system, but your particular needs (and the
choices within your programming shop) determine which tool you will use.

I should also point out that the DAI WG participants did discuss whether to
re-affirm these and we felt that they remained relevant and we didn't have any
updates that we felt were necessary at this time for these documents.

Good Health and Much Peace,
-JOhn

P.S. An administrivia question in regard to Silver Books - will we continue to
reaffirm these as ISO standards?  I assume that we won't, but that is another
reason to continue these as Blue Books if they are still being actively used.

Good Health and Much Peace,
-JOhn