[CESG] Please Review the CCSDS CWE Homepage

ccsds techsupport ccsds_techsupport at aiaa.org
Thu Aug 30 08:14:02 EDT 2012

There is already a webpage for closed mailing lists, which is located off the Mailman homepage.

http://mailman.ccsds.org/

I'll move the SOIS-SDR there when I get a chance.

From: <Kearney>, "Mike W. (MSFC-EO01)" <mike.kearney at nasa.gov<mailto:mike.kearney at nasa.gov>>
Date: Thursday, August 30, 2012 7:14 AM
To: Brian Oliver <ccsds_techsupport at aiaa.org<mailto:ccsds_techsupport at aiaa.org>>, "cesg at mailman.ccsds.org<mailto:cesg at mailman.ccsds.org>" <cesg at mailman.ccsds.org<mailto:cesg at mailman.ccsds.org>>
Cc: "secretariat at mailman.ccsds.org<mailto:secretariat at mailman.ccsds.org>" <secretariat at mailman.ccsds.org<mailto:secretariat at mailman.ccsds.org>>
Subject: RE: [CESG] Please Review the CCSDS CWE Homepage

I’m somewhat sitting on the fence with Peter’s list of suggestions.  I don’t think they bring much additional benefit beyond the folders that are already available in each area, but it’s also not much problem to implement them, but of course at a lower priority than some of the other current work (Registration, RID system).

Ø  They can only be found in the folder hierarchy in the left hand "directory tree" down in an Area's materials, filed under "Work Completed (Closed Working Groups)".

That seems adequate to me.  The only thing missing is the “intro” CWE page that usually has a sketchy (usually inadequate) writeup on the group, and the link to the chair contact and charter.   The critical material is in the sharepoint file folders, and they’re accessible and I think quite obvious in each area.

 1.  Clean up the current CWE top page to be titled "Current Operating Technical Organization" and remove any completed or closed WG, BoF, SIG from that list
Of course, no problem.  Already underway, I think.

 1.  Add an area at the bottom of this CWE Top Page that would provide a on-line per WG list, for each area, of the Closed / Completed WG, link this list to each Area's CWE page
 2.  Add the list of Closed / Completed WG, BoF etc to the right hand navigation pane on each Areas CWE page, following, but clearly separated from, the currently active WG
I would recommend simply a link that says “completed/closed WGs” and that link takes us to a separate page that lists closed WGs.  But not a list of closed WGs on each area’s page.  It needs to be very clear that these are *closed* and inactive, and if they look too much like operating WGs, visitors to our site will get confused.  So I would recommend simply a separate page that lists all closed WGs for which we have the archived materials, and a link at the bottom of each area that says “completed/closed WGs”.   This would also be less work for our resource-strapped IT team, because they simply have to maintain a page that is a list of closed WGs.  That page would a list for all areas, organized under area headers, clearly stating “CLOSED WGs”.
However… if we have lost the “intro” page or charters that we had for closed WGs, it’s too much work to recreate them.  Especially considering those intro pages are so poorly written anyhow.  Look at the CSTS or DTN write-ups, to see what I mean.   The only data we’re “rescuing” is the name and obsolete contact info for the past WG chairs.

 1.  Link each of the Closed WG entires in the navigation window to the buried CWE archive files.
The Sharepoint file folders are currently not linked to a WG.   In an WG page, all of the file folders for all of the files in an area are displayed for any WG in that area.  I think we shouldn’t change the file folder layout… that folder that says “Closed WGs” seems more than adequate for access to closed WG folders.

Ø  (From Erik) The issue also extends to email archives in addition to the CWE material.

I agree with that.  I thought we already had the mail lists archived here:  http://mailman.ccsds.org/cgi-bin/mailman/listinfo  But that list has some closed WGs (SDR) but not others.  Besides this page of “CCSDS Open Mailing Lists” I guess we need a page of “CCSDS Closed Mailing Lists”.  But I would make it accessible only to CWE users (not public) because we don’t want the public to get confused about ongoing work versus closed work.  And a very clear statement at the top that these are from closed WGs.

Maybe we should just let Brian and his IT support chew on this and come up with a good way to have a “cemetery” of closed WGs (intro pages and charters) that can be resurrected if needed.  But still, it seems to me that the only benefit that will bring is the contact info for the past WG chair, maybe a Word-based charter that likely wouldn’t apply to new work anyhow, and the mail list archives.

   -=- Mike

Mike Kearney
CCSDS Chairman and General Secretary
www.ccsds.org<http://www.ccsds.org/>