[CESG] CESG Presentation to CMC

Nestor.Peccia at esa.int Nestor.Peccia at esa.int
Wed Nov 16 07:15:03 EST 2011

Dear all,

First of all, I apologise for the grammar, the english &more, but it has
been written in multi-processing mode

I had to present (and still I did not finish) the CESG 107 VGs ( Version
3.1 in the CWE Area) in 4 slots. Meeting stats and issues from CESG to CMC
will be presented tomorrow.

MAIN TOPIC
The main discussion point was "resources" as a collateral effect from the
CSS "lack of resources". Several CMC members have asked that the same
bottom-up approach done by SM / CSTS WGs Chairs (also AD/DAD) is extended
to all WGs. I proposed to take CSS as a pilot and deferred further actions
until Spring 2012. Some add-ons will come in the future on the AD / WG
chairs shoulder. The most appreciated items were "GB / MB / BB Captain
effort, Prototype 1 development effort, Proto 2 effort" (as done by Erik
and Margherita)

Additional issues until now:

CESG General
Lack of a CESG GB showing an overview of standards (published, at work, to
be developed) and its inter-relations (originated from the NGU-CSTS
dependency, see below). There was a discussion on envisioning the big
picture but with difficulty because of the effects of sequential
interdependencies and not having a plan for new work/activities that may
impact other projects.

SEA Area
System engineering is more system integration? Need to tackle common
services.

CSS Area
We are missing more than 140 man-months to complete the whole SM/CSTS
potential work (even for not yet chartered activities)
I made pressure to all Agencies to indicate their will to deploy resources
in the next 4 or 5 years
Agencies wanted the possibility to distribute resources on fiscal years
and per book and prototype. There were many comments on how to put the
resources on the CESG table.
I showed the extra excel table (prepared by me and not shown in the CESG
report). CMC decided to have a combination of both and asked (this is a
good sign) the Agencies to complete this in the next 2 weeks prior to
IOAG-15.
I will produce in the next 2 or 3 hours the new table.

There were comments on CSTS recommended Approach (Option 2a) during the
SLS NGU WG presentation. e.g. NGU is bringing a new TC-2 standard and it
will impact CSTS work, but CMC was not informed earlier.

SLS Area
Mike noted how interdependent some WGs are with the numerous
cross-meetings between WGs. CMC instructs the CESG to consider describing
the interrelationships and interdependencies between WGs (i.e. wiring/how
one project in one WG impacts another WG). . My reaction was "we can't do
that when considering the lack of resources"
If OCM is approved as WG how this will affect resources on other WGs
considering flat or decreasing total Agency resources.
PLACOM SIG is still very immature
It is accepted tha one Agency pushes for a new TC BB in the NGU WG, but if
this affects the CSTS FW resources where the same Agency is having
difficulties to allocate them ==. Issue / Problem / Concern

SIS Area
CFDP over encap BOF: Why does a  BOF have a WB and is proceeding quickly
with a RB prior of the WG creation ? I explain the 2 MBs saga.
@ Keith:  Please issue resolution for creation of WG asap.
Can we merge MIA and Voice WGs ? They have the same participants and they
are meeting together in Munich, DLR before April 2012. I said that both
WGs have different Programe of work / schedule. CMC would like to know if
it is feasible / benefitial
@ Keith: Please nominate MIA WG Deputy- Chair (there is none)

MOIMS and SOIS came through without issues.

IOAG-15
I have insisted (and Mike helped a lot) to have the 11 participating
Agencies to allocate resources (for Book captain and Proto developments)
on CSS Area whole Planning prior to IOAG-15, such that we can compare the
Agency assigned priority wrt the proposed deployed resources. I know that
this is not the complete picture but CSS is currently the hot potato.

More to come

ciao
nestor