[CESG] PICS text in A02.1-Y-2.1d

Kearney, Mike W. (MSFC-EO01) mike.kearney at nasa.gov
Thu Jul 28 13:16:29 EDT 2011

Ø  Peter reacted to the ESA vote by producing an updated YB doc specifying PICS as mandatory for communication protocols and suggesting that the decision on info objects, service, etc. specs is deferred.

As you saw in Peter's separate note, what the draft document says is:

Ø  The decision of requiring an ICS definition for information object standards (i.e., data exchange specs like TDM or XFDU), service specifications, coding or modulation specifications, and compression specifications has been deferred for now.

What he defers is the decision of *requiring* an ICS for other documents.  He does not defer *allowing* an ICS for other documents.  Since the CMC did not *disallow* PICS-Proforma for other-than-protocols, then the CMC resolution and the procedures *allow* it.

I understand that it contradicts your "last two sentences".  I am sorry about that.  But I don't think that changes the conclusion.

I understand there are broader concerns about XTCE.  I believe the proposed XTCE PICS-Proforma solves the biggest problems.  And I think we can add a PICS annex to the XTCE BB.  Setting aside the question about whether or not it is allowed by the procedures, it's not clear why you think a PICS-Proforma XTCE is a bad idea.

I will have some off-line discussions with Peter.  It looks like your other discussions with Peter are resolved, so that's great.  On this topic, we will let you know the results of the coordination between me and Peter next week.

Thanks,

   -=- Mike

Mike Kearney
NASA MSFC EO-01