[Cesg-all] Results of CESG Polls closing 3 March 2017

CCSDS Secretariat thomas.gannett at tgannett.net
Sun Mar 5 18:56:57 UTC 2017

CESG E-Poll Identifier: CESG-P-2017-02-003
Approval to release CCSDS 523.2-R-1, Mission
Operations Message Abstraction Layer—C++ API (Red
Book, Issue 1) for CCSDS Agency review
Results of CESG poll beginning 18 February 2017 and ending 3 March 2017:

                  Abstain:  1 (14.29%) (Calzolari)
  Approve Unconditionally:  5 (71.43%) (Giulio, Merri, Behal, Burleigh, Wilmot)
  Approve with Conditions:  1 (14.29%) (Shames)
  Disapprove with Comment:  0 (0%)

CONDITIONS/COMMENTS:

Peter Shames (Approve with Conditions): This
document contains a huge amount of detail and it
was not possible to review it all in depth. That
said I did check a number of topics and found no
glaring errors. The document appears to have been
carefully constructed and well documented. The
one identified issue relates to the SANA
registry, and a PID for that is attached. I think
this does not need to stall the rest of the
review and this item can be treated along with
any others raised during agency review.

Gian Paolo Calzolari (Abstain): Editorial comments:

Ref. [3], [4], [B1] are listed but never called in the document.

Ref. [2] is only called in section 1.1 (non
normative) so it should be informative reference.

Total Respondents: 7
All Areas responded to this question.

SECRETARIAT INTERPRETATION OF RESULTS:  Approved with Conditions
PROPOSED SECRETARIAT ACTION:            Generate CMC poll

* * * * * * * * * * * * * * * * * * * * * * * *

CESG E-Poll Identifier: CESG-P-2017-02-004
Approval to release CCSDS 524.3-R-1, Mission
Operations—Message Abstraction Layer Binding to
HTTP Transport and XML Encoding (Red Book, Issue 1) for CCSDS Agency review
Results of CESG poll beginning 18 February 2017 and ending 3 March 2017:

                  Abstain:  1 (14.29%) (Calzolari)
  Approve Unconditionally:  3 (42.86%) (Merri, Behal, Wilmot)
  Approve with Conditions:  3 (42.86%) (Barkley, Shames, Burleigh)
  Disapprove with Comment:  0 (0%)

CONDITIONS/COMMENTS:

Erik Barkley (Approve with Conditions): 1)
namespace in section 5.2 needs to be brought into
conformance with RFC7738 which was filed in 2016
by CCSDS with IANA and is the controlling document for CCSDS namespaces

2) registration of URI scheme "malhttp" is, in
all likelyhood incorrectly indicated as being
with SANA. To the best of my knoweldge URI
schemes are registred with IANA. Please check and
update as appropriate (ie., removal from SANA
consideration, and perhaps RFC 4395 applies here).

Peter Shames (Approve with Conditions): There are
many issues with this document. These are all
marked in the attached PDF and the major ones are documented in the four PIDs.

Scott Burleigh (Approve with Conditions): Since,
according to section 1.1 of this document, the
MAL binding to HTTP and the XML encoding for MAL
data types are mutually independent, I do not
understand why they are being published together
as a single book. Wouldn't the implementation,
utilization, infusion, and maintenance of both
standards be easier if they were published as
separate documents? I can appreciate that
publishing a single book might be
administratively simpler, but I don't think
that's a very good rationale. If there is a sound
technical argument for combining these two
standards in a single Blue Book I will gladly withdraw this condition.

In any event, I think it would be a profound
service to the reader to state in section 1.1
that the MAL binding pertains only to the MAL
message header and the XML encoding pertains only
to the MAL message body, as explained in the
fourth paragraph of section 2.1. (If this is not
true, then I think section 2.1 needs revision.)

Finally, is it the case that MAL can be bound to
HTTP running over UDP as an alternative to TCP?
Section 2.4.1 seems to indicate that it is, while
section 3.4.1(2) and Table 3-5 indicate that it is not.

Gian Paolo Calzolari (Abstain): Editorial comments:

Ref. [5], [6], [8] are never called.

Ref. [4] only call4ed in non nomative sections,
then it should be informative reference.

Total Respondents: 7
All Areas responded to this question.

SECRETARIAT INTERPRETATION OF RESULTS:  Approved with Conditions
PROPOSED SECRETARIAT ACTION:            Generate
CMC poll after conditions have been addressed