[Cesg-all] Projects with large delays / SLS reply

Gian.Paolo.Calzolari at esa.int Gian.Paolo.Calzolari at esa.int
Tue Jun 14 08:06:25 UTC 2016

Dear Nestor,
        your main question is "to determine if the delayed projects should
be closed or remain open" and I confirm that all those SLS project listed
below SHALL remain open.

As additional comment I can say that often Green Book suffer of the low
priority and have to stay long time in the queue for polls and
publication.
At the bottom of this mail you also find a specific input by RFM WG.and
MHDC WG.

Best Regards

Gian Paolo

Dear SLS AD and DAD,

concerning the  "Evolutions of CCSDS recommendations for RF & Modulation
5.01 RF and Modulation Working Group Blue" indicated to have a 36 months
delay, there is a basic interpretation problem.

This project calls mainly for updating document CCSDS 401 BB that, as you
know well, is a collection of currently 109 individual self-standing
recommendations. From 2008 until now, new items have been added to the
project almost every year resulting in an overall shift of the project
completion date. For instance, the impact of NGU requirements on existing
telecommand recommendations, the inclusion of ACM/VCM jointly developed
with the C&S WG as additional recommendation, or the alignment of the 8
GHz Earth exploration recommendation with the new 26 GHz recommendation
were not included in the first version of the project.
While some delay with some of the items is present and has been properly
flagged at each meeting via the SLS area report (for instance with
emergency communication, MSPA, 22 GHz modulations), the main cause of the
ECD-DA change is the addition of new items to the project.

Later this year,  the WG will ask for including a revision of the DDOR
recommendation and a new ranging technique (telemetry ranging) to the
project. These requests, if accepted by CMC, will further delay the
overall completion date as resources are normally not increased..

Additionally, this project is indicated as the one with the second longest
delay (36 months.) However, the delay has to be scaled to the estimated
duration: for instance 36/109 is about 33% whereas other projects that are
ranked better have ratios like 24/46 or 52%, etc..... I believe that the
worst case is the project with 29/16 that corresponds to 55%.

I trust you can convey the message to treat this special project
differently from the others to the CMC. Splitting the project in 109+
individual projects just for showing that most of them are on time is not
considered a good way forward.

Best Regards, Enrico
The two items listed for MHDC are (a) Issue 2 of CCSDS-122.0-B and (b)
CCSDS-122.0-B.

For (a): we already have a resolution requesting promotion to Red Book and
agency review.
For (b): we are in the final stages of edits and we expect to request
promotion to Red Book probably near the end of this month.

So my recommendation is to keep both projects open.

Aaron