[Cesg-all] Results of CESG polls closing 17 February 2014

CCSDS Secretariat thomas.gannett at tgannett.net
Wed Feb 26 09:08:31 EST 2014

CESG E-Poll Identifier:  CESG-P-2014-01-001
Approval to release CCSDS A02.1-Y-4, Organization
and Processes for the Consultative Committee for
Space Data Systems (Yellow Book, Issue 4) and related documents
Results of CESG poll beginning 31 January 2014 and ending 17 February 2014:

                  Abstain:  0 (0%)
  Approve Unconditionally:  3 (60%) (Peccia, Barkley, Calzolari)
  Approve with Conditions:  2 (40%) (Shames, Scott)
  Disapprove with Comment:  0 (0%)

CONDITIONS/COMMENTS:

      Peter Shames (Approve with Conditions):  It
appears that there have been some editorial
changes introduced in moving from A02x1y3x3 to
A02x1y3x4 that cause some un acceptable revisions
to the CCSDS procedures.  The most significant of
these is the introduction of voting in WG in Sec
5.2.8.5 and the new requirement in Sec
5.3.5.4.1.4 of all failed polls automatically
being escalated.  This is entirely counter to
CCSDS operating as a consensus organization and
has the consequence of really changing the
organizational dynamics.  These are also counter
to the spirit of the recent discussions in the
CESG re consensus.  There are other issues noted in the attached mark-up.

The revisions to the Publications manual A20x0y31
are acceptable as they are.  Note that the Pubs
manual references the new ICS document, and this
reference also belongs in the Org & Procs doc.

The new ICS manual, A20x0y02, is in quite good
shape.  There are just a few editorial changes
proposed to add greater clarity to the
distinctions between ICS/PICS and PRLs, and to
state clearly where PRLs are required.  Also,
since the text uniformly uses the term "profile
RL" I recommend that this be formalized as "Profile Requirements List (PRL)".

      Nestor Peccia (Approve
Unconditionally):  CESG has concurred initially
with a YB version, which was later updated by the CMC.
Some of the conditions established by the ADs
during the CESG Poll are on the newly introduced CMC updates
As the CMC is the owner of the YB, and some of
the updates affect the current operations, I
suggest that these issues are discuussed during
the next physical CESG / CMC meeting (7th / 8th April 2014)

      Erik Barkley (Approve
Unconditionally):  Note:  I am assuming that Keith's concern will be addressed.

      Gian Paolo Calzolari (Approve
Unconditionally):  Some further discussion
between CESG and CMC is required as pointed out by Nestor.
Here below some comments to be checked/discussed.
1) Appointees as Chair/Deputy Chair or AD/DAD
must be from different (sponsoring) agency.
I guess SOIS is not compliant (or is Stuart sponsored by UK Space Agency?).
Use 'should" instead of "must"?
2) Appointees may come from any organization
(including industry) and do not have to be
employees of space agencies.; however, at least
one of Chair/Deputy Chair in CESG or AD/DAD in
the same area must be an agency employee.
I guess SIS is not compliant.
Use 'should" instead of "must"?
3) If after 24 months (i.e., 4 meetings) the SIG
has not reached consensus on the proposed
objectives and guidance to the WGs, the SIG must be disbanded.
This looks as a longer-duration BOF.....
Will/Should there be any waiver/extension chance?
4) The Systems Engineering Area (SEA) covers
system-wide engineering aspects that are so
pervasive that they span both the Informatics and
Telematics Domains. The AD has the prerogative to
define, in agreement with the CCSDS Strategic
Plan and its related Tactical Plan, the precise
set of work units that this Area contains at any point in time.
The latest change is the addition of the text
stating "in agreement with the CCSDS Strategic
Plan and its related Tactical Plan". The same text is applied to all Areas,
However, what is a "work unit"? There is no
definition for work unit in the document.
Conversely it is clear that WG, BOFs, SIGs are "organizational units".
5) All projects of which the WG is aware should
be included verbally in the charter.
Does it mean that the charter shall mention ongoing and future projects?

      Keith Scott (Approve with Conditions):  The
new text of 2.3.2.4.1 could be
problematic.  While I am contracted to NASA JPL
for this work I am not a full-time employee of a
space agency.  My deputy area director, Dai
Stanton, is in a similar position.  Would
adoption of the text in the first paragraph of
2.3.2.4.1 require a restructuring of the SIS Area
leadership?  Or does 'agency employee' also apply
to contractors?  If so, I would suggest clarifying the text.

Total Respondents:  5

No response was received from the following Area(s):

      SOIS

SECRETARIAT INTERPRETATION OF RESULTS:  Approved with Conditions
PROPOSED SECRETARIAT ACTION:            Await resolution of comments

* * * * * * * * * * * * * * * * * * * * * * * *
CESG E-Poll Identifier:  CESG-P-2014-02-001
Approval to publish CCSDS
652.1-M-2,  Requirements for Bodies Providing
Audit and Certification of Candidate Trustworthy
Digital Repositories (Magenta Book, Issue 2)
Results of CESG poll beginning 1 February 2014 and ending 17 February 2014:

                  Abstain:  1 (20%) (Calzolari)
  Approve Unconditionally:  4 (80%) (Shames, Peccia, Barkley, Scott)
  Approve with Conditions:  0 (0%)
  Disapprove with Comment:  0 (0%)

Total Respondents:  5

No response was received from the following Area(s):

      SOIS

SECRETARIAT INTERPRETATION OF RESULTS:  Approved Unconditionally
PROPOSED SECRETARIAT ACTION:            Generate CMC poll

* * * * * * * * * * * * * * * * * * * * * * * *
CESG E-Poll Identifier:  CESG-P-2014-02-002
Approval to publish CCSDS 871.2-M-1,  Spacecraft
Onboard Interface Services—Device Virtualization
Service (Magenta Book, Issue 1)
Results of CESG poll beginning 1 February 2014 and ending 17 February 2014:

                  Abstain:  1 (16.67%) (Calzolari)
  Approve Unconditionally:  4 (66.67%) (Peccia, Barkley, Taylor, Scott)
  Approve with Conditions:  1 (16.67%) (Shames)
  Disapprove with Comment:  0 (0%)

CONDITIONS/COMMENTS:

      Peter Shames (Approve with Conditions):  In
Appendix A the descriptions of PICS pro forma and
PICS are confused with the description of a PRL,
which is a Profile Requirements List, not a PICS
Requirements List.  A PRL is used for a set of
protocols at an interface.  This document should
only be describing the PICS Pro Forma for the abstract interfaces it defines.

Please fix Appendix A to align with correct terms and usage.

      Nestor Peccia (Approve Unconditionally):  I agree with Peter's comments

      Keith Scott (Approve Unconditionally):  I
think I agree with Peter about A6, not so sure
about A5.  A5 seems to be stating which parts of
the service specification are mandatory and which
are optional, which SEEMS PICS-like to me.  I'll be interested in the result.

Total Respondents:  6

All Areas responded to this question.

SECRETARIAT INTERPRETATION OF RESULTS:  Approved with Conditions
PROPOSED SECRETARIAT ACTION:            Generate
CMC poll after conditions have been addressed