[Secretariat] [Cesg-all] CCSDS Org & Proc Yellow Book: MOIMS Comments + CESG Chair comments

Thomas Gannett tomg at aiaa.org
Thu Oct 3 09:41:29 EDT 2013

Nestor:

Just a couple of comments in response to the following:

Implementation Conformance Statements

Oh my goodness I feel like we've gone from 0 to 60 with no
intervening discussion! Yikes! The content of this document should be
presented during the CCSDS Opening Plenary at San Antonio. It's
pretty dense by comparison to what we've had before, what with the
conditional logic involved, expanded notation, footnotes, etc.

As CESG Chair I do not give the go ahead without having feedback from
the majority of the 28 WG Chairs, because this will heavily affect
their work (when considering the constrained resource environment, on
which they are producing the recommended standards).

I am not saying "No ICS" (PICS are already compulsory for protocols),
but we need probably to find a compromise wrt the "non protocol ICS"

1) The CESG agreed in the spring to changing the PICS requirement to
an ICS requirement. That agreement was presented at the CMC meeting
the following week, and modification of the Org&Procs book to include
the change was the second bullet of the first page of my
presentation.  I have asked Nick for the draft minutes of the
meeting, but my recollection is that everyone in the CESG and the CMC
has already agreed to expanding the PICS requirement to an ICS
requirement for new projects. (Only the U.S. Congress can pass a law
and then refuse to accept it.)

specification is less than half the size of the ISO ICS
specification, and the requirements are proportionally reduced. The
statement "It's pretty dense by comparison to what we've had before"
is true only with respect to the lack a PICS/ICS in most of the
earlier specifications. The majority of the specifications that have
included a PICS to date have followed the ISO spec, so if actual PICS
preparation equals "what we have done before" then the statement is
wholly incorrect.

Best regards,
Tom

At 06:14 AM 10/3/2013, Nestor.Peccia at esa.int wrote:
>Tom
>
>Please find attached a consolidated set of MOIMS including also my
>comments as CESG Chair
>

>I, as CESG Chair, conclude that the proposed updated YB contains
>certain changes that need an in-depth discussion with the WG chairs
>and ADs/DADs
>
>These issues are namely:
>    * Delivery of Interoperability Test Plan at the beginning of the
> recommended standards process
>    * Compliance with a new ICS YB, which was discussed at CESG
> level in general terms, but without the YB on the table.
>
>Therefore, I recommend the following way forward
>    * collect / consolidate all comments received by 4th Oct 2013
>    * Discuss the main issues at the CESG next webex telecon (to be
> organized asap)
>    * Present the main issues at the San Antonio Plenary
>    * CESG Chair will contact personally all WG chairs during the
> Technical Meeting at San Antonio
>    * Discussion / agreement of issues, such that the YB can start
> the CMC poll (with the aim to have it approved  before the Montreal meeting)
>

>ciao
>nestor
>This message and any attachments are intended for the use of the
>addressee or addressees only. The unauthorised disclosure, use,
>dissemination or copying (either in whole or in part) of its content
>is not permitted. If you received this message in error, please
>notify the sender and delete it from your system. Emails can be
>altered and their integrity cannot be guaranteed by the sender.
>
>Please consider the environment before printing this email.

Thomas Gannett
+1 443 472 0805