[Cesg-all] FW: ISO/IEC 9646-7, Information technology, Part7: Implementation Conformance Statements - Implementation Conformance testing methodology and framework

Shames, Peter M (313B) peter.m.shames at jpl.nasa.gov
Fri Apr 15 12:02:13 EDT 2011

Hi Chris,

Good to hear from you.  I have to confess to being a little confused as to
just which "hat" you are wearing in the case of this response.  I was
asking the question about PICS in the context of the CCSDS CESG, addressed
to you (and the others) in our AD roles.  You appear to have answered as a
member of ESA / ESTEC implementers "Those of us involved with protocol
development have managed pretty well so far without formal guidance from
CCSDS".

Within the CCSDS context you argued strongly for a requirement on all
CCSDS standards to include a PICS Pro Forma.  Others agreed with you,
including me as I recall.  But now the rubber must meet the road.  The CMC
has mandated that we do this.  The question now before us as CCSDS ADs is
just how to implement the inclusion of PICS Pro Formae within the CCSDS
organization.

So, in the context of CCSDS, and as the SOIS AD, just how do you propose
that we implement the use of PICS that you advocated?  Do you agree with
the formulation of the new policy that I proposed (at CMC and CESG Chair
request)?  Do you think we need to provide the CCSDS WGs and document
editors some concrete guidance on just what a PICS Pro Forma is?  Should
we provide them with some examples of good PICS Pro Formae to emulate?  Or
are you proposing that we just point the CCSDS technical people at the ISO
PICS recommendation, all 68 pages of it, and say "Do that"?

I know we all know this, but I will restate it anyway: What any given
agency chooses to do with the resulting document form and recommended
practices, and what they choose to implement, is an entirely separate
issue from what CCSDS as an organization does to create recommended
standards and practices.

Regards, Peter