[Cesg-all] FW: ISO/IEC 9646-7, Information technology, Part7: Implementation Conformance Statements - Implementation Conformance testing methodology and framework

Chris.Taylor at esa.int Chris.Taylor at esa.int
Fri Apr 15 02:26:18 EDT 2011

Peter, I am certainly an advocator of the use of PICs but at the moment there
are no resources to produce a yellow book and I anyway question the real
need. Those of us involved with protocol development have managed pretty well
so far without formal guidance from CCSDS, so why not just reference the ISO
standard and leave it at that.

Regards,
//ct

|------------>
| From:      |
|------------>
  |"Shames, Peter M (313B)" <peter.m.shames at jpl.nasa.gov>                                                                                        |
  >----------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------|
|------------>
| To:        |
|------------>
  |CCSDS Engineering Steering Group - CESG All <cesg-all at mailman.ccsds.org>                                                                      |
  >----------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------|
|------------>
| Cc:        |
|------------>
  |Tom Gannett <thomas.gannett at tgannett.net>, Mike Kearney <Mike.Kearney at nasa.gov>                                                               |
  >----------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------|
|------------>
| Date:      |
|------------>
  >----------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------|
  |14/04/2011 17:39                                                                                                                              |
  >----------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------|
|------------>
| Subject:   |
|------------>
  >----------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------|
  |[Cesg-all] FW: ISO/IEC 9646-7, Information technology, Part7: Implementation Conformance Statements - Implementation Conformance testing      |
  |methodology and framework                                                                                                                     |
  >----------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------|
|------------>
| Sent by:   |
|------------>
  |cesg-all-bounces at mailman.ccsds.org                                                                                                            |
  >----------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------|

Dear CESG Colleagues,

In reference to the note I sent out earlier in the week on the proposed PICS
Pro Forma update to the CCSDS Procedures, the Secretariat has contacted ISO
and made a copy of ISO/IEC 9646-7 available to us for our use.  See the
appended note to locate it in the CWE.

This is a 68 page document and it provides a very complete discussions of
different kinds of PICS Pro Formae, distinguishes between single protocol and
application profile PICS, and otherwise treats how to use this in documented
a standard and also how to use it to document the testing of a standard and
any implementations of a standard for compliance.

I question whether we will want all of this material in the CCSDS Procedures,
even in an Annex.  An Annex of no more than 5 pages seems appropriate, but it
will be very difficult to provide in that limited space a very complete
coverage of the subject.  Perhaps that will be enough, if done well, but it
is likely to result in a rather uneven treatment of the topic by our document
editors.  So we are left with the question of whether we should also consider
adding a new CCSDS Yellow Book for PICS Pro Forma, PICS, and Testing that
incorporates much of what is in the ISO doc, but tailors it for our purposes.
This would then be a companion to the updated CCSDS Procedures and Pubs
manuals.

Does anyone have an opinion about this?  Does anyone want to volunteer to
produce this edited Yellow Book? I seem to recall that Chris Taylor was
someone who was really keen on the inclusion of PICS Pro Formae in CCSDS
docs.  Perhaps he has the resources to get this done?

Regards, Peter

From: Nick Tongson <nickt at aiaa.org>
Date: Thu, 14 Apr 2011 06:57:47 -0700
To: Adrian Hooke <Adrian.J.Hooke at nasa.gov>, Peter Shames <
peter.m.shames at jpl.nasa.gov>
Cc: Mike Kearney <Mike.Kearney at nasa.gov>
Subject: FW: ISO/IEC 9646-7, Information technology, Part7: Implementation
Conformance Statements - Implementation Conformance testing methodology and
framework

      Peter, Adrian: ISO doesn’t have the Word version of ISO/IEC 9646-7 but
      I did get permission to circulate the PDF files to those who need it
      within the CCSDS community. One file is large so I’ve uploaded it on
      the CWE (CESG/CWE Private/Reference Documents).

      http://cwe.ccsds.org/cesg/docs/Forms/AllItems.aspx?RootFolder=%2Fcesg%2Fdocs%2FCWE%20Private%2FReference%20Documents&

Please be discreet in your distribution.

      Nick

      Nick Tongson
      For the Secretariat of the Consultative Committee for Space Data
      Systems
      American Institute of Aeronautics and Astronautics
      1801 Alexander Bell Drive
      Suite 500
      Reston, VA 20191-4344
      P: 703.264.7515
      F: 703.264.7551
      E: nickt at aiaa.org
      www.aiaa.org
      (Embedded image moved to file: pic24485.jpg)logo