[Cesg-all] Result of CESG poll closing 15 October 2010

CCSDS Secretariat tomg at aiaa.org
Sat Oct 16 10:55:15 EDT 2010

CESG E-Poll Identifier:  CESG-P-2010-09-003
Approval of updated version of proposed new issue
of CCSDS 520.0-G-2, Mission Operations Services Concept
Results of CESG poll beginning 20 September 2010 and ending 15 October 2010:

                  Abstain:  2 (33.33%) (Taylor, Gerner)
  Approve Unconditionally:  1 (16.67%) (Thompson)
  Approve with Conditions:  3 (50%) (Shames, Barkley, Durst)
  Disapprove with Comment:  0 (0%)

CONDITIONS/COMMENTS:

      Peter Shames (Approve with
Conditions):  All of the technical issues raised
during the previous review have largely been
dealt with in this version.  There are still a
number of editorial changes that are needed,
including some that deal with inaccuracies in the
revised text.  The document is also missing a
large number of  references to CCSDS documents
that are identified in the text.  See attached.

      Erik Barkley (Approve with
Conditions):  The document is much improved from
the previous review version. My previous review
conditions can be summarized as a) more direct
statement of concept, b) increased emphasis on
description of the services themselves, c)
relationship of the services to the rest of the CCSDS.

With regard to the previous conditions:

a) the document definitely reads better however I
believe the document could still benefit from a
more direct statement of the concept itself. For
example, it struck this reviewer that the first
three paragraphs under section 3.3.3.2.3 (Common
Object Model) could be safely removed from the
document.   In a similar vein, in section 3.3.4.2
(Capability Sets) there is discussion that
implementation "should be able to determine
" And
that "It should be possible for the service
consumer to interact
". These types of statements
although offered as rationale tends to cloud the
definition of the concept – a more direct
statement of the concept I believe would ensue by
simply just removing these two sentences. (The
last sentence in this paragraph in fact actually
directly states the concept thereby removing the
"possible" and "may" doubts that arise from the
earlier rationale statements).  And I believe
there are other examples.   Overall this is
probably more of a minor quibble than really
substantiative but I believe it does not hurt to
keep the general notion that CCSDS documents tend
to state just the facts and in this case that
would translate to as forcefully and directly
stating the concept as possible. I will readily
admit that this is more a matter of style and so
can perhaps be prioritized as the lowest (and
perhaps therefore somewhat negotiable relative to
resource availability) for resolving.

b)  increased emphasis of the services: much
better. I would suggest keeping in mind that
perhaps as the actual service specifications are
developed this may need revisiting but for
purposes of this review I believe this condition can be stated as resolved.

c) relationship of the services to the rest of
CCSDS: much better.  I may be a bit biased, but I
believe the Cross Support Services should receive
the same treatment as the other areas in terms of
calling out the applicable recommendations to be
utilized etc.  This would then be my top
condition for resolving and I am willing to work
with the SM&C WG group to provide an appropriate paragraph or diagram etc.

I find no new conditions for approving the document.

      Bob Durst (Approve with Conditions):  The
document is much improved.  In 2.3.3, it’s good
to see AMS mentioned in both the ground/space and
ground/ground sections, but it also should be
mentioned in the on-board section: SOIS has
agreed that AMS is a suitable binding of the SOIS
Message Transfer Service requirements, and Stuart
Fowell has implemented on-board AMS as part of
SciSys’s SOIS prototype for ESTEC.

Section 2.4.1 misstates the nature of MAL.  It
states that MAL defines protocol syntax and
semantics, which it does not; it only states the
*requirements* that a conforming protocol’s
syntax and semantics must satisfy.  Section 2.4.2
gets it right: “The MAL is an abstract Platform
Independent Model (PIM) which all other services
are defined in terms of
”  Section 3.3.3.3 is pretty clear about this.

Total Respondents:  6

All Areas responded to this question.

SECRETARIAT INTERPRETATION OF RESULTS:  Approved with Conditions
PROPOSED SECRETARIAT ACTION:            Await resolution of comments

* * * * * * * * * * * * * * * * * * * * * * * *
CESG E-Poll Identifier:  CESG-P-2010-10-001 CESG
final approval of SANA Yellow Book, Space
Assigned Numbers Authority (SANA)--Role,
Responsibilities, Policies, and Procedures
Results of CESG poll beginning 7 October 2010 and ending 15 October 2010:

                  Abstain:  0 (0%)
  Approve Unconditionally:  3 (60%) (Shames, Peccia, Durst)
  Approve with Conditions:  2 (40%) (Barkley, Gerner)
  Disapprove with Comment:  0 (0%)

CONDITIONS/COMMENTS:

      Erik Barkley (Approve with Conditions):  Minor editorial RID:

Section 3.11,  from "...registry may
grandfathered..." to "...registry may be grandfathered..."

      Jean-Luc Gerner (Approve with
Conditions):  In section A.1.1.1.1.1.1.2, it is said:
"The recommendations of this document request
SANA to create the following registry(ies)."

It should read instead:
"In support to this recommendation, SANA has
created the following registry(ies)"

Justification for the proposed change: the user
of the standard needs to know what registries are
applicable, not that at the creation of the
standard a request has been placed while the
final outcome is not reported to him.

(other such 'requests' appear further down in the
same section and should be corrected the same way

Total Respondents:  5

No response was received from the following Area(s):

      SOIS

SECRETARIAT INTERPRETATION OF RESULTS:  Approved with Conditions
PROPOSED SECRETARIAT ACTION:            Resolve comments, generate CMC poll