[Cesg-all] V2 GSCIDs usage

Gian.Paolo.Calzolari at esa.int Gian.Paolo.Calzolari at esa.int
Fri Jul 3 04:57:16 EDT 2009

cesg-all-bounces at mailman.ccsds.org wrote on 02-07-2009 19:26:34:

> Hi,
>
> When registering V2 CCSDS Spacecraft IDs, we have routinely been sending

> out a confirmation that includes this
> statement:
>
> As a reminder, Version 2 SCIDs are only useful for telecommand when
> using AOS-VCDU.
>
> I just wanted to check that this still remains accurate.

John,
        just a silly doubt/clarification.

v2 SCIDs are 8 bits long while v1 SCIDs are 10 bits long (as per CCSDS
320.0-B-5 and other books).
Therefore v2 SCIDs are a subset of v1 SCIDs (numerically speaking).
In principle one could use a 8 bits v1 SCID on a spacecraft and the same
(value) 8 bits  v2 SCID since they would generate different GSCIDs (being
GSCID = VN . SCID i.e. concatenation). The same can be extended to v3 SCID
values of course.

If you assign a value as v2 SCID, what do you do with the same value as v1
SCID?
Do you freeze it or is it available for somebody else (even belonging to
another space agency)?
I assume that a space agency can request to have allocated the same value
as v1 and v2 SCID. Correct?

Thanks

Gian Paolo

Gian Paolo Calzolari